Birds Birds Birds

Tell us about your hobby

Birds Birds Birds

Postby Poohdog » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:23 pm

To those interested in the lives of the Nottingham falcons (Weeks to go yet....nesting expected Mid March) and the Florida Eagles (Sitting on eggs) here are the links to their live cams.

http://www.ntu.ac.uk/sustainability/bio ... id=falcons

http://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html#
Poohdog

Re: Birds Birds Birds

Postby maggieh » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:32 pm

Thank you for the links,Paul.Be something interesting to watch later.
maggieh

Postby Monika » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:55 pm

This year there is another camera .. a thermal imaging camera .. which should be interesting when the nest gets to being used again.

Won't be long now :yahoo:
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Poohdog » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:38 pm

At the moment camera three at Nottingham is absolute crap...just like a Dartmoor fog.No use at all unless someone there knows how to set it up and focus it properly.
Poohdog

Postby Monika » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:19 pm

Are you volunteering Pooh?

There was a report in the paper today, along with a photo, of a man with bird food in his hand feeding a tame robin in some woods.
Apparently, he has been a regular dog walker there and the robin has pretty much followed him about and, one day he took seed with him on the walk and that's when it started. The robin won't take food from anyone else who tries but there is also another robin which he offers food to and this one will only come on his hand for a second or so, but the other stays for several minutes.

At the last house, I had a tame blackbird which used to follow me all over the garden, into the greenhouse and my kitchen (just inside the open door). He/she used to cock its head on one side when I spoke to it and "talked" to me. It used to wait for me coming out of my back door by sitting directly above it and then dive bombing me just missing my ear by a fraction. It was a great privilege I felt to have a pet bird that was free to fly away whenever it chose.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Poohdog » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:20 pm

I know nowt about setting up a webcam but would have thought they would have made it usable before switching it on.

Do you know why Robins and blackbirds are so 'tame?' Both are woodland birds and you will see them digging in the leaf litter for grubs etc.
In olden days one animal with similar foraging habits was the wild boar snuffling around looking for beech nuts and acorns. The birds have been seen closely following the pigs and taking advantage of the grubs exposed by the pigs snouts. That's why when digging in the garden you will be closely watched by the local robins. As far as the birds are concerned we are just a two legged pig offering the same opportunity.
Poohdog

Postby widget » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Here is some more eagles, smaller than the others, not sure where these are.

http://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/
widget

Return to Hobbies