Birdwatching

Tell us about your hobby

Birdwatching

Postby twinsmum » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:19 am

: :) Is any one one interested in birdwatching, feeding the birds etc, I don't mean twitchers who go trampling about the country side causing mayhem just people who like are feathered friends
twinsmum

Postby widget » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:51 am

I do, I have all manner of things hanging in the garden to feed them, at the moment I am putting out small dishes of dry porridge oats on the ground for the blackbirds, they love it,
having a parrot helps, he has soaked mixed beans and parrot seed, and fruit and veg, so what he leaves I put out for the birds.
widget

Postby Lacemaker » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:29 am

I have lots of birds coming for a feed but the main ones are the lorikeets. Unfortunately the Indian mynahs have decided that they quite like the lorikeets food but they are still being bluffed by the lorikeets aggressiveness towards them.

There are lots of battles going on in the garden every day - the Red Wattle birds consider they own the garden while the Noisy Minors think they do; the cockatoos often fly in but are chased away by me - the last thing I need is a flock of hungry cockatoos feasting on the woodwork of my house ! We also see the Crimson Rosellas, Eastern Rosellas, Koels (like a cuckoo), Kookaburras, King Parrots and Pink Galahs amongst others - some of them seen rarely and others every day.

I could sit watching them for hours.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby widget » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:36 am

Oh Lacemaker you have always made me envious :cry:

I get excited when I see a Robin or a Wren, but still I have my own parrot flying around indoors :lol: :lol:
widget

Postby twinsmum » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:43 am

:lol: We have done our bird watching from the living room window this weekend and the birds have given us a good show the cold weather has brought siskins to the feeders about 10 normally 1 is good we think its the thistle seed we have put out we also had goldfinches ,greenfinches as well as he usual robin blackbirds sparrows etc and I saw the wren.
we also watched a little field mouse he kept running out grabbing a seed off the floor and run back as soon as he saw a bird, the trouble is I can watch them for hours and never get any house work done :roll:
twinsmum

Postby Rowan » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:20 am

I am terrified of birds. I quite like watching them on nature programmes or looking at them from inside but if birds come near me, I am really scared and panic - especially pigeons and those big black evil looking ones.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby DaisyB » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:31 am

Widget, I have just emailed you a PDF file of pictures of a wren. They were taken by Sparks from Seniority. He took them in his garden on Sunday.
If anyone else would like to see them, pm me your email addy and I'll send them on to you.
I don't know if there is a way of linking PDf files to a forum.
DaisyB

Postby widget » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:11 am

I did see those yesterday June, they are marvellous,
as you might have guessed, I do lot more 'looking' and 'reading' on forums than posting,

You lost me with the PDF Files!!!! were am I suppose to find them????

thanks for thinking of me,

Sorry Rowan, I will never be able to invite you to tea, as Widget [parrot] is free-flying in the lounge, you could sit in the garden and watch him through the window. :-)))

PS/ OK June I have found them, am PMing you my new address. can you give me the link to these photos, I can't find them!!!!
widget

Postby twinsmum » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:52 pm

:D Widget we had a parrot that used to live next door he was called SAM in summer he was always in the garden most of the time walking up and down the fence,when I finished putting washing out etc I would say "Bye Bye Sam" and Sam would answer "Bye Bye" and flap one wing in the air
twinsmum

Postby Monsy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:59 pm

I like watching birds and try not to miss Bill Oddie when he's on. Of course, seagulls are the best!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Emm » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:34 pm

After snowing all morning, it is now pouring down with rain.
And the daft starlings are bathing in our bird bath!!!!!
:roll:
Emm

Postby Monsy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:25 pm

I don't encourage them Emm, because this place is hoaching with cats.

My own Wolfie Fatboy is like an elephant with boots on, trying to sneak up on any bird!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby DaisyB » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:35 pm

widget wrote:I did see those yesterday June, they are marvellous,
as you might have guessed, I do lot more 'looking' and 'reading' on forums than posting,

You lost me with the PDF Files!!!! were am I suppose to find them????

thanks for thinking of me,

Sorry Rowan, I will never be able to invite you to tea, as Widget [parrot] is free-flying in the lounge, you could sit in the garden and watch him through the window. :-)))

PS/ OK June I have found them, am PMing you my new address. can you give me the link to these photos, I can't find them!!!!

Ann you have to have Adobe Reader to view the pictures. You can download it for free if you don't have it.
DaisyB

Postby widget » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:09 pm

June I have got them, what I can't find is where they were on IDF, or where ever I saw them first.
widget

Postby Emm » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:29 pm

Monsy, our neighbour over the road, has two cats.
Unfortunately, she loves wild birds, but can't put food out for them, or have a bird bath.
Emm

Next

Return to Hobbies