Birdwatching

Tell us about your hobby

Postby DaisyB » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:10 pm

Not IDF Ann, it's a PDF file, opened with Adobe Reader. I didn't post the pics on IDF, I hardly post there these days.
DaisyB

post subject

Postby Penny » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:24 pm

Wish I could post pictures, I feed birds every day and have photos of a host of rooks eating spaghetti which I cook for them. I don't know why but there seems to be a lot more this year, my back lawn looks black when I put out their breakfast. I don't even have to call them now, they watch me unlock the patio door and down they swoop, one arrives first, we call him George and then he squawks and down come all the others. Two pigeons called William and Mary join then. We also have doves, magpies and jackdaws to name but a few.Talk about eating well, I get three large loaves every Thursday, a bag of peanuts, a large bag of small seeds for the little ones and a large pack of spaghetti. It's still not enough though and have ended up cooking them potatoes this week. They are indeed a joy to watch and people who call say they have never seen so many birds in one garden. Do you think I could get a child allowance to feed them. Ha Ha Cheers Penny.
Penny

Re: post subject

Postby Oddquine » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:37 pm

Penny wrote:Wish I could post pictures, I feed birds every day and have photos of a host of rooks eating spaghetti which I cook for them. I don't know why but there seems to be a lot more this year, my back lawn looks black when I put out their breakfast. I don't even have to call them now, they watch me unlock the patio door and down they swoop, one arrives first, we call him George and then he squawks and down come all the others. Two pigeons called William and Mary join then. We also have doves, magpies and jackdaws to name but a few.Talk about eating well, I get three large loaves every Thursday, a bag of peanuts, a large bag of small seeds for the little ones and a large pack of spaghetti. It's still not enough though and have ended up cooking them potatoes this week. They are indeed a joy to watch and people who call say they have never seen so many birds in one garden. Do you think I could get a child allowance to feed them. Ha Ha Cheers Penny.

Why can't you post pctures, Penny? You mean on here or anywhere?
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Monika » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:48 pm

Today. I watched two adult robins eating seed I'd put out and one kept feeding the other.

I've seen them do this in previous years and I assume it's part of the courtship.

Rather nice, I think.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby DaisyB » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:08 pm

Monsy wrote:I like watching birds and try not to miss Bill Oddie when he's on. Of course, seagulls are the best!

Monsy, did you see the Bill Oddie programme a couple of weeks ago when he showed his all time favourite sight. Nothing exotic or rare but the swarming of starlings at dusk over the River Severn ( I think it was there). It was an amzing sight, millions of starlings absolutely blackened the sky.
DaisyB

Postby Penny » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:18 am

Odquine, am useless at anything technical. Son and hubby tried to show me how to do it from the photo bucket, not managed it yet. My brain shuts down at anything technical. Daisy B. Saw the programme about the starlings, really amazing, never seen anything like it. Did you catch the one about the largest rookery in the country, at Northampton. Very similar and truly spectacular. cheers Penny.
Penny

Postby Monsy » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:46 am

DaisyB wrote:
Monsy wrote:I like watching birds and try not to miss Bill Oddie when he's on. Of course, seagulls are the best!

Monsy, did you see the Bill Oddie programme a couple of weeks ago when he showed his all time favourite sight. Nothing exotic or rare but the swarming of starlings at dusk over the River Severn ( I think it was there). It was an amzing sight, millions of starlings absolutely blackened the sky.

I saw it June, it was a wonderful sight right enough!

I was watching a programme the other night about birds that swoop down on baby storks and drink blood from wounds they make at the top of their legs. The seemed to have their whole heads in the wound, you could see them pulling the tissue out, yet the birds seemed hardly perturbed!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Midnight Mover » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:21 pm

Took a photo of one of a pair of large terrifying black birds the other day! I have a feeling it is a rook, I only know it looks like those birds in the Alfred Hitchcock film which still scares me :oops:

Strange bird, the one in the photo, it seems to like going for a walk. There were two of them going for a Sunday stroll this weekend. I watched from the safety of the bedroom window :hide:
Attachments
2006-03-23 005.JPG
2006-03-23 005.JPG (26.98 KiB) Viewed 6000 times
Midnight Mover

Postby Emm » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:03 pm

If it was bigger than a crow - then it probably is a rook, Midnight.
Emm

Postby twinsmum » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:55 pm

:rolleye11: we had a Redpoll visit our garden today its the first time either of us has seen this bird lovely
twinsmum

Postby widget » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:39 am

Hi twinsmum, never heard of a bird Redpoll, only cattle, so did a look, and think I can only find then native in America and Canada region, am I right????

Sorry, just found this, http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/l/le ... /index.asp

there is a lot of info on this site http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/home.shtml
widget

Postby twinsmum » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:27 pm

Yes that's it widget, the one in our garden had a red chest more pinkie really.
Thank you for the garden-birds web site that ones new to me will have a good look later it seems quite interesting.
twinsmum

Postby Monika » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:21 pm

This afternoon ... looking out of the kitchen window whilst ironing (hate it :evil: )

Then, spot Mr and Mrs Goldfinch and a juicy worm.

Oh. Joy! No wonder their collective noun is 'a charm'

Monika

Postby widget » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:31 pm

Oh aren't you lucky, sham the window was there :rolleye11:
widget

Postby Monika » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:47 pm

We never got these birds, Widget, until a few years ago when I made a concerted effort to attract them.

I bought Niger seed and a special feeder for it and it took about five months of patience until they became regular visitors.

A couple of years ago, we counted 15 together on the ground feeding.

If you have a garden big enough, they also love Agastache seed.
Monika

PreviousNext

Return to Hobbies