Bit of Stained Glass

Tell us about your hobby

Bit of Stained Glass

Postby dita » Tue May 02, 2006 9:30 pm

Just had a small bay - window put in in place of our old flat one, now I can show off a few bits and pieces. Along side my hobby of Crystal collecting are some of my husband stained glass, this being a hobby of his until his illness the last few years. He taught the subject at night-school for a number of years too, this is only a very small sample as we have lamps and window hangings all over the house.
dita

Postby Lacemaker » Tue May 02, 2006 9:37 pm

I love the stained glass work and these look so beautiful, Dita. I have used a few stained glass patterns as patterns for my needlelace.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Rowan » Tue May 02, 2006 9:59 pm

I love stained glass too. Don't have any though - I'm too well known for being clumsy!!
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Dragon Lady » Tue May 02, 2006 10:08 pm

It looks an interesting craft dita. Am I right in thinking the colours are painted on with glass paint, or is it real stained glass. I imagine if it is the latter it would be a rather expensive hobby.
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby dita » Tue May 02, 2006 10:46 pm

This is real stained glass, and yes it can be expensive. The pieces of glass are first cut out of a large sheet of coloured glass, the cut out pieces are then all edged with copper foil, it is then assembled into your design and soldered together, sometimes a form is used but not very often. None of it is painted.
dita

Postby Monsy » Wed May 03, 2006 10:04 am

They're lovely Dita, I like the lamp - they cost a fortune to buy.
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby dejavou » Wed May 03, 2006 7:33 pm

They're beautiful Dita, what a clever man your hubby
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby dita » Wed May 03, 2006 9:46 pm

Thankyou for your comments, I will try and take some more lamp photos and put them on for you to see. In Popular Crafts Magazine 8th Jan 1999 vol 20 No 1. I wrote an article about the History of Stained Glass along with an article about my husband and his Hobby. Submitted it and the Editor rang and requested us to send lamps, and mobiles etc: to them to be photographed because they wanted to publish. It was called Rainbows In The Window. Doubt if there are now copies available but you never know, maybe someone has lined their draws with it!
dita

Postby Dragon Lady » Thu May 04, 2006 9:24 am

Thanks for the info on the stained glass Dita! So it is the real thing! Though expensive, if you did them to sell you could recoup your expenditure and a bit more besides I would think. The lamp is lovely and very saleable - Art Deco seems to be all the rage now!
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Emm » Thu May 04, 2006 4:26 pm

The fish is fantastic, too.
I considered going to classes to learn this - but as has been said - it is very expensive - too much for me for just a personal hobby.
Emm

Postby Miriam » Fri May 05, 2006 9:50 pm

Lovely....stained glass is pure delight with the sunshine beaming thru it.

I used to trade my clayworks for stained glass so I have a small number of window pieces which I enjoy.

Congrats to your husband. He's a real craftsman.

Miriam
Miriam

Postby dita » Sun May 07, 2006 11:56 am

Thank's Miriam, he really appreciated your comments. It does take hours of work to complete a lamp, all though they are worth alot of money it is not easy to make a profit, people do not want to pay the prices in our area, they would rather buy one of the cheap commercial one's which cannot be compared with the real thing.
True value of that small lamp in the photo could be roughly £100. bigger ones with more pattern and detail cost anywhere between £150 to £200 depending on type of glass etc: He has copied Tiffany but that glass is really expensive to buy. Equipment is also a problem, it is a dear hobby to set up. Maybe the main thing is the time it takes to make them, many patient hours.
dita

Postby Rowan » Sun May 07, 2006 12:58 pm

But so worthwhile Dita. :mrgreen:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dita » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:40 pm

A few more bits here, trouble is you need a real steady hand and now his hands shake too much, it is very rare that he does it and alway's gets frustrated because the soldering is not straight enough.
Attachments
Whale.JPG
Whale.JPG (152.17 KiB) Viewed 5488 times
dita

Postby dejavou » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:02 pm

They're beautiful Dita .... tell him he's a clever chap :banana:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Next

Return to Hobbies