Knitting toys

Tell us about your hobby

Knitting toys

Postby Penny » Tue May 23, 2006 7:33 pm

Anyone into knitting toys. Thought I had done all that when my two were little but am now having to knit for the grandchildren. Finished a teddy bear today, and dressed him in a knitted suit, striped blue and white. Hubby thinks it's cute. Trouble is having done one toy I have to do another to satisfy both. cheers Penny :groaner:
Penny

Postby dejavou » Tue May 23, 2006 8:25 pm

Have done them in the past Penny, but I found them too fiddly, so the fad didn't last long :sad:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Dragon Lady » Tue May 23, 2006 10:29 pm

So where's the photo then Penny? :roll:
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Miriam » Tue May 23, 2006 11:56 pm

This reminds me of the Xmas I made Raggedy Ann dolls for my 2 girls and 2 nieces as well.... What a job that was....but they luvved them.

Miriam
Miriam

post subject

Postby Penny » Wed May 24, 2006 12:24 pm

Have no idea how to do pics. I am useless at anything technical. Got a lap top a few weeks ago and still haven't used it. Think I will stick to knitting and sewing. cheers Penny. :oops: :rolleye11:
Penny

Postby Monsy » Wed May 24, 2006 1:29 pm

Can't be bothered knitting now. No-one wants hand knitted stuff, I think they equate it with being 'poor'

I haven't any wool, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it

(Got about hunnert pairs of knitthing needles somewhere though)
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Maywalk » Wed May 24, 2006 1:47 pm

Hi Penny,
I am NOT into making dolls from scratch but I used to do my own designs for knitting various things for many folk.
With any wool I had over I used to buy an undressed doll and design a pattern to suit it.
I would then take them with me when we went to ballroom dances and put them in the raffle.

Both sets on the dolls below I designed myself and I had a magazine after me to design some dolls outfits for their pages.
I declined because I had enough to do with looking after my granddaughter at that time.
Now my fingers have started to seize up with old age and I cant hold the knitting needles for long without my fingers going into cramp spasms.

Maywalk

post subject

Postby Penny » Wed May 24, 2006 1:49 pm

Ditto needles Monsy, have a large collection of needles and crochet hooks of my own and a large wooden box made by father-in-law full of needles of mother-in-law's. Have quite a bit of left-over wool and going through my wad of patterns decided to use some of it up. Keeps me busy, can't bear ( :rolleye11: ) to sit doing nothing, done so many crosswords am going cross-eyed.cheers Penny. :rolleye11:
Penny

Postby Maywalk » Wed May 24, 2006 2:08 pm

I have just been looking at a 1945 knitting book. A relic from WW2.

Have you ever tried knitting a ladies jacket and skirt on number 14 or I believe they are 2millimetre knitting pins now with two-ply wool?

About 340 stitches on the needles just for one side of the skirt?
Gawd it took forever to even knit the hem never mind the rest of it.
Maywalk

post subject

Postby Penny » Wed May 24, 2006 2:40 pm

Maisie, the outfits are lovely. Strange, I have a doll identical to those pictured, it is lying in a pram beside me at the moment, dressed completey in knitted clothes made by my mother-in-law. Talking of suits made me remember the ones I knitted many moons ago. I loved them and did about 5 altogether. I remember one I made in pink which I wore to a wedding reception of a friend of mine. Got many compliments on that one. I can just imagine rude comments if I wore one like that today. Talking of dolls, the very first one I knitted for my little one was about 2'6 high. Longer than my son but I made it to sleep beside him in his first big bed. When my son first started to talk he could not say baby, it became bebe and ever after the doll was called Miss Bebe. My grandaugther who is 7, took it home from here when she started nursery and it still sleeps beside her every night. It must be 38 years old now. Must have been good wool in those days. cheers Penny.
Penny

Postby Maywalk » Wed May 24, 2006 3:00 pm

Hi Penny lovely story about Miss Bebe.

I am no good at stuffing the hand made dolls.
They finish up with lumps round their earholes instead of the right places. :roll: :roll:
Maywalk

Return to Hobbies