Feed the birds day

Tell us about your hobby

Feed the birds day

Postby twinsmum » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:28 pm

Its feed the birds day on Saturday the 28th October in the UK
I don't know if its due to the disease in finches but we don't seem to have as many birds in the last few days and our pet shop says sales of wild bird food are down,one or two of her customer have seen poorly birds but up to now we seem free of it.
twinsmum

post subject

Postby Penny » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:53 pm

Unfortunate, we have the sick birds here. A dead pigeon lies on my neighbours lawn and another bird has been sitting on the fence looking very poorly. We usually have dozens of little birds, finches, tits, robins etc but this week we have been counting only seven in total. Very sad. I do miss them. I feed the rooks every morning and they come down when I call. Hope this sickness does not touch them as well. Penny.
Penny

Postby CD » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:56 pm

Is there something happening to the birds in the UK then? I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere. Mind you we only get Sky news here and that's pretty poor. We don't get the variety of birds here that I expected, mainly sparrows, wagtails, blackbirds, robins, tits and the occasional hoopoo, plus the perishing pigeons of course.
CD

Postby twinsmum » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:09 am

CD you will find information on the disease on www.rspb.org.uk
its called trichomniasis it stated first in doves
twinsmum

Postby CD » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:17 pm

Thanks for the link Barbara. I don't think there is anything like that here at the moment but I will be keeping a close eye on the many birds that visit our terrace.
CD

Postby Emm » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:39 pm

There is no decrease in the number of birds which visit our garden.
We rarely see finches anyway, though.

I haven't heard anything about bird flu for quite some time now. Has anyone else?
Emm

Postby dita » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:27 pm

We still have plenty of birds feeding here, also collared doves (too many). Just hope we do not get the problem.
dita

Return to Hobbies