Anyone into this sort of hobby

Tell us about your hobby

Anyone into this sort of hobby

Postby Maywalk » Fri May 06, 2005 5:11 pm

including the men? Dolls houses I mean.

Its surprising how many men go to the Dolls Emporium with their wives and families to look at and buy these wonderful houses.
I bought quite a bit if furniture for my granddaughters two houses and have had a sale leaflet come through this morning.
This is one of my granddaughters houses. It has chandeliers and it looks lovely all lit up. Fascinating hobby.
It also has a conservatory on the side now plus a garden with plants and patio set. This photo is from the book I had come this mornig just to give you an idea of what it looks like.
I thnk the oldest person to get one was a lady of about 87years she was completely dShe had always wanted one as a child but her parents were too poor. Her son took her to pick one and built it for her with lights and many other accessories.
I just wondered whether any one was interested in these.

This is where we very often hav a ride out to.

http://www.dollshouse.com/mediacentre/

[right]Image[/right]
Maywalk

Postby widget » Fri May 06, 2005 7:47 pm

We have a lady in our WI who is into dolls houses, think they are nice, but I have not the time or the room.
widget

Postby e » Fri May 06, 2005 10:26 pm

My dolls' house was my pride and joy, until I discovered boys :roll: I'm not even sure what happened to it :(

The prospect of starting all over again at my time of life is a definite no-no, but I do still enjoy looking at them :) errrrr, dolls' houses, I mean :lol:

That's a fine looking house Maywalk ..... has she had it many years :?: :wink:

e

Postby Maywalk » Fri May 06, 2005 10:59 pm

About six years now E.
She has another one in their conservarory that has a conservatory attached. Does that make sense :shock: :shock:
Maywalk

Postby haus » Sat May 07, 2005 5:33 pm

I'm a joiner by trade Maywalk, so I'm able to appreciate the skill in making miniatures.
I work in Yorkshire and have discovered this place for a variety of odd materials such as.........Image

http://www.miniaturescene-york.com/

........and they do some brilliant dollshouse stuff.
haus

Postby Maywalk » Sat May 07, 2005 5:40 pm

That looks an interesting site JB and I will browse through it later on.

Thanks for showing it.
Maywalk

Postby Oddquine » Sat May 07, 2005 8:24 pm

I was into doll's houses at one time, Maywalk. I've still got a plethora of books about them and making miniatures for them.

Made a 1/12 Elizabethan style one, with furniture, which, over time, my grandchildren trashed.

Now have a 1/24 Georgian-ish one, also homemade and scratchbuilt :oops: , with some furniture, but since I got into the internet, it has kind of gone by the board.
I did at one time have a pic of it. Must see if it's still around. Give you all a laugh, if nothing else! :P
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Maywalk » Sat May 07, 2005 8:41 pm

Hi there wysiwyg,
Nice to see that you have joined us and relaxing for a change. :roll:

That is the trouble with computers they can become addictive. We forget all our manual skills. :evil: :evil:

Would like to see that picture.
I think I like them because I never had anything as a child so I am reliving my childhood through my granddaughter.
Maywalk

Postby toolip2 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:51 pm

Hi Maisie, have just looked on here and what lovely hobby. My DIL loves them and wants one but not until the GC have grown up more. She is fascinated with them.
There is a shop in Skegness devoted to dolls houses and the furniture and periperals that go with the houses and it is a treasure trove in there.

The links I can pass to her.

I had a tudor dolls house as a child and I gave it to my cousin who did not love it like i did and I wondered what ever became of it. :huffin: :roll:
toolip2

Postby Maywalk » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:37 pm

Unfortunately the houses have taken second place with my granddaughter now Toolip since she has been courting. :dunno:

It is a fascinating hobby BUT VERY expensive.

Mind you I have loved getting stuff for them as much as she has. :mrgreen:
Maywalk

Postby mazzy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:02 am

My sister enjoys her dolls house hobby. She went through a bad time when her husband died suddenly, and says that she thinks concentrating on her 'little' house kept her sane.
mazzy

Postby Lacemaker » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:49 am

Lacemaking helped me when my husband died, Mazzy. It was something to concentrate on to take my mind off what I had lost.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:19 pm

I went to the Sandringham craft show today and saw the craft units and there was s ome ladies doing lace work with many bobbins, I have sen this beautiful work before at local flower festivals in our churches but this time I watched the lady and asked her questions about the work. It is totally fascinating; the intricate lace work is incredible.

I embroider and find this relaxing and rewarding. It took me 4 years to complete a cotton tablecloth in delicate traditional embroidery. It has never seen daylight as it's a heirloom for my DIL and granddaughter.

Is this the lace work you do, Lacemaker and have you been to the Nottingham lace centre?
toolip2

Postby Lacemaker » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:42 am

Yes it is toolip and yes I have been to the Nottingham Lace Centre. My father was born in Nottingham and my grandfather's name is in the Sherwood Foresters' book in Nottingham Castle as one of those who died in the Battle of the Somme so before we migrated to Australia we made many visits there.

While I can make lace using all the bobbins, my favourite lace is Needlelace which may interest you. The link below is to my website which has a section on how to do needlelace.

http://www.lacemakerslace.oddquine.co.uk/
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:20 pm

Many thanks for the link. I will have a peep. Interesting to know about your Da's and your Grandpa. We have visited Nottingham city a few times and it is interesting for history and heritagea s well as the shops

I am sure trhey keep moving the Trent bridge, as when we go by car we always get lost as we approach the city centre and have to find the bridge!! :roll: :huffin: :roflmao:
toolip2

Return to Hobbies