Felting

Tell us about your hobby

Felting

Postby sweetpea » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:14 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has done any felting? to make bags, purses, by knitting and then putting them in washine machine on hot cycle. I haven't tried this myself, wondered how successful the article is when finished.
sweetpea

Postby Lacemaker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:42 pm

I did some felting many years ago with a local Spinners and Weavers group, sweetpea, but instead of knitting something, first of all I felted the raw fleece and then made something from this. I have also used a hatter's block to mould the fleece during felting to make hat and this turned out quite successful. A few of my friends have made various garments and one of them has quite a business going selling hats made by knitting them first of all and then felting them.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Maywalk » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:49 pm

Never tried it myself SW because to be honest I dont like it.

I have one or two knitting books a month and it shows you articles in them but they are not my cup of tea.
Maywalk

Postby sweetpea » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:03 pm

Thanks for the replies.

That is so interesting Lacemaker, especially with the making of the hats, and that yours was successful.

I understand how you feel Maywalk, it is not everyone's cup of tea. I've seen some tote bags felted, and wouldn't like them, but I have seen a couple of purses that look quite nice to do, so I may have a go at it.
sweetpea

Postby Young Goat » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:51 am

I tried roof felting once, do you know the sort of thing I mean ? Three layers of that green stuff with a layer of hot bitumen in between each. :rolleye11:
Young Goat

Postby mazzy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:04 am

There was a pattern for some felted boxes in the People's Friend recently.
I didn't think they looked very nice, and you have to use pure wool to get the right effect. Think that would be quite an expensive way to produce something that looked quite mediocre.

I did have a sister in law once who was very good at it..................oh yes......all her kids dolls had lovely 'felted' jumpers. She used to knit like a demon, then when she found time to do the washing it would all go in one big machine at the launderette on a very hot wash :roll:
mazzy

Postby sweetpea » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:44 pm

I might have a better chance of success doing this, keith :roflmao:

Hello mazzy, I read somewhere you had to use pure wool, will have to see what I've got to use as a trial run :oops:
sweetpea

Postby Rowan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:47 am

Felting may be having a comeback. I saw a jacket in Debenhams today and it seemed to be made out of a felted material, looked good too.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby sweetpea » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:59 pm

That's good to note, Rowan, maybe it is coming around again, will keep a eye out in the shops now.
sweetpea

Postby toolip2 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:21 pm

I am so lazy-minded with crafts but I love the concept and ideas. I tried beading once and liked this but never returned to it. I am French or Nancy knitting at the moment: small circles all joined together in different coulous and it looks quite neat and my DIL said she wants it so will finish it soon for her. I though GD may like it but MUmmy wants Nanny's handywork! :please:

I have never heard of felting as a craft but I do like the many squares of felt in different colours... next time I go in my fabric shop I'll have a peep :roll: :thinking:

I hope you get going with it, sweetpea!
toolip2

Postby sweetpea » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:12 pm

Hi Toolip!! Is the Nancy knitting done with a cotton bobbin?

Well, I've just knitted a little make up bag, and tomorrow morning will throw it into the washing machine with my jeans (yes, that's what the book says!) and see how it felts! Will let you know.
sweetpea

Return to Hobbies