Bread ............not garlic though

Your favourite recipes and tips

Bread ............not garlic though

Postby Monsy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:35 pm

I had a go at making some bread today, a la Delia.

I didn't have any clingfilm (it's the work of the devil) so I used greaseproof and I am now waiting for it to rise, so I can punch it.........

I was idly considering buying a breadmaker, or is it going to be one of thon gadgets that sit in back of the cupboard?
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby DaisyB » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:09 pm

I had a breadmaker Monsy and was glad when it broke, I hated it. Square loaves with a hole up the middle, bread tasting too yeasty and the recipe called for powdered milk to be added, not good for my dairy allergic son.

I now make my bread with just the help of my Kenwood Chef to do the first knead. Don't use greaseproof, use a dampened clean tea towel, stops the dough forming a dry crust before baking.
DaisyB

Postby Monsy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 am

Well, the bread smelt loverly, we had some straight out of the oven. The middle was still a bit 'doughy' though, so I expect I hadn't done it long enough. I put the other one back in the oven for a wee while. I had some for breakfast and it was a bit dense (like me) so I don't know where I went wrong..........

You are right about the crust June, it was like a skin on top.

I'll have another go in a couple of weeks, when the seagulls have managed to lift the other one ............
Monsy
Silly B

Postby DaisyB » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:42 am

Want to try this Monsy?

DaisyB

Postby Monsy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:30 am

*faints*

That looks lovely, I might have a go at that next.
Monsy
Silly B

Postby mazzy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:52 pm

I just make plain white bread. I prove it in big poly bags, so that it is a bit like a little greenhouse I agree with everything June says - wouldn't have a breadmaker.
I don't have a mixer though, so all my kneading is done by hand.

What recipe did you use Mons - did you do a second prove? A lot of the recipes on the flour packets only say to prove it once, but I have found mine to be lighter when proving twice.
mazzy

Postby DaisyB » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:42 pm

I use 1lb 8oz Extra strong flour
1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
1 sachet easi blend yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3/4 pint warm water

I knead all the ingredients with the Kenwood Chef for 5 mins once all ingreds are incorporated. Prove in the lightly oiled bowl covered with damp tea towel. When doubled in size knock back by hand. Shape to fit 2lb loaf tin, cover again and leave to rise again.
Bake for 35/40 mins on Reg 7 (many recipes say Reg 8, I found this too hot as the crust tended to burn and the inside not quite done enough)

For the cheesy loves, I add a couple of ounces of grated very mature cheddar to the dough. Then before putting in the oven, cover with red onion rings and grated cheese. Of course I divide the dough into two loaves and place side by side on a flat baking tray as they rise they will join up so you have that lovely soft bit when you pull them apart.
DaisyB

Postby mazzy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:22 am

My recipe is similar, but I put it in the oven on Reg 9 for 10 minutes - then lower the temp down to 6. If you slash the top as well, you get good 'oven spring' - if you have a galss oven door it is fascinationg to watch how quickly and how high it rises......
mazzy

Postby Penny » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:34 pm

I have two breadmakers and use both quite a lot. I know there is a hole in the bottom where the paddle sits but if the bread is tasty does,nt matter about the little hole. I make two overnight and then slice and freeze nearly all the slices. My hairdresser comes every Wed. and she takes a loaf home, says it only lasts as long as lunch time. Always remember Monsy to give the bottom a good tap, if it sounds hollow its done. You could also try rolls which are easier to judge when cooked. Make a batch and freeze some. cheers Penny :grouphug:
Penny

Postby Penny » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:34 pm

I have two breadmakers and use both quite a lot. I know there is a hole in the bottom where the paddle sits but if the bread is tasty does,nt matter about the little hole. I make two overnight and then slice and freeze nearly all the slices. My hairdresser comes every Wed. and she takes a loaf home, says it only lasts as long as lunch time. Always remember Monsy to give the bottom a good tap, if it sounds hollow its done. You could also try rolls which are easier to judge when cooked. Make a batch and freeze some. cheers Penny :grouphug:
Penny

Postby Victors Mate » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:14 pm

Mr Olley’s Bread Recipe

1 3/4 lb of the strongest flour you can get. (usually from a baker)
Half an oz of salt
2 teaspoons of olive oil
500mls tepid water
1 sachet of yeast.

Put in bread machine and set for dough.
When ready take out knock down and knead for three to five minutes.
Put into a 2lb bread tin
Allow to rise.
Put in pre heated oven (220 degrees centigrade) for 40 to 45 minutes.

If using a bread machine only use to the dough stage. The chamber is too small to allow the bread to bake properly and you tend to get steamed bread.

Monsy if the bread was still doughy in the middle you might not have had the oven hot enough.
Victors Mate

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey Monsy how's the bread making going? Do you still knead the dough? :groaner:
Victors Mate

Return to Recipes and Tips