Garlicky Tomato Soup

Your favourite recipes and tips

Garlicky Tomato Soup

Postby Andere Richtingen » Mon May 25, 2015 5:48 pm

I love tomato soup and, after much experimenting, I think I've now created the perfect one. We like it, anyway! Vegetarians can omit the bacon and, if you think life's too short to skin tomatoes - you're probably right and it'll all go through the blender at the end anyway. (NB: This makes a lot but it will freeze).

Garlicky Tomato Soup
Ingredients:

3kg approx Tomatoes - blanched, skinned and chopped
1 medium onion - chopped
1 red pepper - de-seeded and chopped
1 med to large potato, chopped into 1cm cubes
2 rashers streaky bacon - cut into 1cm pieces
6 bulbs garlic
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 bunch coriander - washed and roughly chopped
Half a teaspoon ground paprika
2 tbs olive oil
Black pepper to taste

Method

Trim the 6 garlic bulbs and remove any loose skin. Bake on a tray in the oven at Gas mk 4 for aprox 30 to 35 minutes until just soft. Remove from the oven and put to one side to cool.

In a large pan, warm the olive oil and add the bacon, onion, potato, red pepper and the 3 crushed cloves of garlic

Cook gently, stirring regularly so it doesn't stick, until veg are just soft. Add the paprika and cook for a further couple of minutes.

Add the chopped tomatoes, a good grinding of black pepper, and water to fill the pan. Bring it all to the boil, cover and leave to simmer gently.

Peel the baked garlic and, after 20 minutes, add the peeled cloves to the pan along with the chopped coriander.

Cook for a further 5 minutes then remove from the heat and leave to cool.

When it's cool enough, puree the soup in the blender until it's completely smooth.

Re-heat and serve hot with new, crusty bread or chill and serve over ice-cubes.
Andere Richtingen

Return to Recipes and Tips