750 gm minced beef
¼ cup, chopped fresh coriander
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon, grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon, garam masala
1 small fresh red chilli, seeded, chopped

Meatballs:

Combine all ingredients in bowl, mix well. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls.

Heat ghee in pan, add meatballs in batches, cook, turning, until well browned. Drain on absorbent paper.

Add onions, garlic and ginger to same pan, cook, stirring, until onions are soft. Add spices, cook, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes and meatballs, cook, covered, about 20 minutes or until meatballs are tender. Stir in mint. Serve with Thai Rice.

NOTE: This is quite spicy, but if you prefer it hotter, just add seeds from the chilli, or extra chillis to the sauce.
Orchidea

Postby mazzy » Fri May 13, 2005 6:57 am

Be careful with this one O, if my husband were to see it he would want to marry you!!!!
I have made quite a few variations of this , but he jut loves meatball(kofta) curries.

Would he notice if I substituted powdered glass for the fresh ginger ....I wonder :twisted:
mazzy

Postby Rowan » Fri May 13, 2005 8:00 am

Or arsenic? :ithanku:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Victors Mate » Fri May 13, 2005 7:44 pm

On top of spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball,
When somebody sneezed.

It rolled off the table,
And on to the floor,
And then my poor meatball,
Rolled out of the door.

It rolled in the garden,
And under a bush,
And then my poor meatball,
Was nothing but mush.

The mush was as tasty
As tasty could be,
And then the next summer,
It grew into a tree.

The tree was all covered,
All covered with moss,
And on it grew meatballs,
And tomato sauce.

So if you eat spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
Hold on to your meatball,
Whenever you sneeze.
Victors Mate

Postby Orchidea » Fri May 13, 2005 9:00 pm

Mazzy, I have made an eaten that one with various 'hotness' many times, and it's the best! It's actually in an Indonesian cookbook I have, and there are some beauties in their too!!

Nice one VM, haven't heard that one for years - there are other less delicate versions we won't go into here! :)
Orchidea

Postby haus » Sun May 15, 2005 2:42 pm

Sounds a great recipe O......I'm a big curry fan.
Picked up the habit living in Leicester many years ago.
I had mostly Hindu neighbours, and found them to be total 'foodies', seeming to enjoy the making as much as the eating.
Our immediate neighbour showed my ex and I how to make our own garam massalla....roasting a variety of seeds an stuff, and grinding them in a mortar an pestle.
Unfortunately my X paid most attention, continued to make our own garam m, but I'm afraid the ingredients and method have now drifted outa my memory.
Also, solo living has prompted me to make use of the fabulous assortment of curryhouses and takeaways we have here in Leeds/Bradford, so I havnt actually MADE curry for years.
But I DO kinda enjoy cooking when the mood takes me.
So......does one buy garam massalla in the shops these days........??......cos I fancy a crack at your recipe O.
:?:
haus

Postby Orchidea » Sun May 15, 2005 5:31 pm

I used to make the lot from scratch too jb, but like you say, living solo kind of makes it all too much hassle. You can buy it ready made - best is to find the Eastern shops or a deli style grocer. The run of the mill supermarkets just sell powdered rubbish, and tastes like nothing.

Check out around you, I am noticing a lot of Spice shops opening up lately, may be one where you are?
Orchidea

Postby Monsy » Wed May 18, 2005 10:28 am

These sound delicious, I shall make a big batch then freeze the rest - or I could put them in the fridge and have them next day!

There are a few speciality Indian shops in these parts, I will go and inverstigate...............
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby mazzy » Wed May 18, 2005 7:15 pm

Had the day off work today, and decided to cook him a treat for his dinner....one very happy chappy.
Excellent recipe........and I didn't add any 'extra' ingredients!!
mazzy

Postby Orchidea » Thu May 26, 2005 9:05 pm

It is a great recipe, and glad you enjoyed it Mazzy. I will dig out some more tried and tested ones when I get some time.

There WAS one I recall - oh yes, Fish Heads Curry...Yum yum!! :curtsie:
Orchidea

Return to Recipes and Tips