Bread Machines

Your favourite recipes and tips

Bread Machines

Postby Miriam » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:03 am

I have one and love it...in fact, I picked up another at a garage sale for pennies and have it stashed to use when this one gives up.

For some reason... good bread is very difficult to find here in the USA... Oh, it's available at almost $3.00 a loaf...and it still has lots of chemical preservatives in it...which I try not to imbibe.

I do get a "real" loaf of bread when I go into Tarpon Springs and buy one at the Greek Bakery....which is fantastic..
but so very large!!!!
Then...I have to cut and quarter it to put in the freezer... as without preservatives it goes stale very quickly.

Today, I've made a small loaf in my bread machine....and am so pleased with it..

Anyone else like or use their machines as well?

Miriam
Miriam

Postby DaisyB » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:57 am

I had one and hated it Miriam. I didn't like the strange shape and the hole in the middle, or the fact that the recipe called for powdered milk and quite a bit of sugar. (my son is allergic to milk). So I make my bread the good old fashioned way.....well with a little help from my Kenwood Chef. I just use good quality strong bread flour, olive oil, water and a sachet of the quick-blend yeast, no milk or sugar.
DaisyB

Postby Rowan » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:55 am

I've made bread in the past and I expect once I have retired and have more time, I'll do it again. I couldn't be annoyed with a bread machine though. I'll keep to the old way.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Monsy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:31 am

Don't eat enough bread to warrant it. I buy a Burgen loaf for me and keep it in the freezer. Just take two slices out in the morning for toast. I buy that 'all in one' for the wee one and keep it in the freezer, ready for one of her bacon sandwiches or strawberry jam blow outs!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Miriam » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:00 pm

Oh Dear....that was a blow-out then.
I have 3 cook books with recipes...so seldom use the same one twice...
For cinnamon buns, I use the bread maker to do the kneading...then take out the dough and proceed by hand.

Can't think of any recipes that require a lot of sugar....other than my cinnamon buns..

Ok..... I love mine!!! Carry On!!!

Cheers
Miriam
Miriam

Postby DaisyB » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:22 pm

By a lot of sugar Miriam, I mean more sugar than I should have, being diabetic, which basically is none if possible.
My father loves his machine though.
DaisyB

Postby Rowan » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:33 pm

It's just what you prefer to use really. I know plenty folk who just love their bread machines.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby twinsmum » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:42 pm

I used to make all my own bread years ago using granary flour I preferred fresh yeast but I probably cant find any shop that sells it now, I bought it from the local bakers, now like most of those shops shut down :rolleye11:
twinsmum

Postby DaisyB » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:45 pm

Apparently most supermarket bakeries will 'give' you fresh yeats if the make their bread instore, so I'm told.
DaisyB

Postby Monika » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:30 pm

I love my bread machine, Miriam, but I never bake bread in it.

I put it on the dough programme and then turn it out and make small 'buns'.

I only ever make wholemeal buns and my recipe doesn't use sugar, but honey. I don't put the salt in at all.

I have to admit that I was pretty useless at making my own bread and I get good results from the machine.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Miriam » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:54 pm

Wholemeal buns???? Would that be called wheat grain?

Yep, was going to stop the machine and make buns last time..but got distracted..

I don't care for wheat bread at all, so make either Italian, French etc. in the machine. The Italian as I recall only uses water...no milk, no sugar...

Luv your bread with the malt in it....don't get it here.

Miriam
Miriam

Postby Monika » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:39 pm

It's funny that you should mention malt loaf, Miriam. My bread machine's booklet has a recipe in there for malt loaf - I tried it once and it was HORRIBLE.

Incidentally if you mean the malt bread with dried fruit in it, I have a good recipe for a similar one whereby the malt comes via the 'Bournvita' (can you get that in the states?).

For anyone interested, here is the recipe:
MALT LOAF (BOURNVITA LOAF)

8oz SR Flour; 4oz Mixed Dried Fruit
2oz Bournvita; 2 tablespoons Warmed Golden Syrup
2oz Sugar; ¼ pint milk and water mixed (approx)

Grease a 1lb loaf tin.
Mix together all the dry ingredients and fruit.
Stir in warmed syrup and mix to a dropping consistency with the liquid.
Pour into prepared tin and bake in moderate oven (180C/350F, Gas mark 4) for about 1 hour.
Store in an airtight tin for at least 24 hours. (This loaf improves with keeping).

Delicious sliced and spread with butter.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Miriam » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:31 pm

No.....that's not it Monika....but thank you....I'm scratching my head to remember the bread I like so much in the UK!!

Miriam
Miriam

Postby Rosie » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:27 pm

I love my bread machine and use it at least three times a week. Sometimes for a change I use the dough cycle and then shape the dough into small rolls or baps and bake in the ordinary oven.
Rosie

post subject

Postby Penny » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:36 pm

I have two machines and both are constantly in use. Just had a month on holiday, using bought bread- yuk. Hubby insists that next time away I take one of the machines with me. Must admit I was so happy to get back to a decent slice of toast. cheers Penny. :now:
Penny

Next

Return to Recipes and Tips