Postby DaisyB » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:35 pm

ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL

30 elderflower heads
2 lemons
50g/2oz citric acid (from chemist)
2kg bag of sugar
large mixing bowl
2x 1 litre sterilised bottles with screw caps

Turn elderflowers gently on draining board so that any insects will scuttle out. Snip the main stalk from each elderflower head and let flowers drop into mixing bowl. Scrub and slice the lemons, add to bowl with citric acid and sugar. Bring 1.4 litres/2.5pints water to the boil and pour over mixture. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Cover with a cloth and leave for 5 days, stirring daily. (Don’t use clingfilm - too airtight). Line a colander with double thickness of muslin and set over a clean mixing bowl. Scald the muslin by pouring boiling water from the kettle. Discard the water. Tip elderflower mixture into muslin lined colander and let cordial strain through into bowl. Discard everything left behind. Pour cordial into bottles and store in fridge for up to 3 months. To serve, pour a little cordial into a glass and fill with tonic water or sparkling mineral water, add ice and a slice of lemon.
Note.
To keep cordial longer - for up to a year, add a campden tablet. Crush 1 tablet to a powder and mix with 1 tbsp cold water. Add to cordial after straining, but before bottling.
DaisyB

POST SUBJECT

Postby Penny » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:19 pm

Thats's a lovely old recipe Daisy, used to make it a lot before I moved here, along with Elderberry Wine.Now I have a bush (tree) at the bottom of my garden don't seem to get around to it. keep it going, cheers Penny.
Penny

Return to Recipes and Tips