Pie in the Sky

Your favourite recipes and tips

Pie in the Sky

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:52 pm

This repeated series is one of my favourites and last week they "discovered" a twist on the traditional recipe for Bread and Butter pudding which sounded rather delicious.
They didn't give the recipe and only hinted at the introduced ingredients. However thinking about it I came up with the recipe below which might prove to be rather acceptable.

BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING

Take:
10 Slices White bread (Stale bread works great)
5 eggs,
Marmalade
600 ml Milk (Or cream, or half milk, half cream)
200g Vanilla caster sugar
50g Dried fruit
butter
Method:
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4 and grease a casserole dish
Butter the bread and coat with marmalade. Arrange butter side up in layers in the casserole dish, sprinkling fruit between the layers
Crack the Eggs into a jug and whisk
Heat the Milk, or cream in a saucepan, until it's just simmering, then take off the heat and beat in the Eggs
Add most of the vanilla sugar to the egg mix (Keep a little back for the top)
Pour the mixture over the bread, making sure it's all coated in egg. Tuck the
corners in if necessary
Place the dish in a deep roasting tin, half filled with water and carefully place in
the oven for 25-30 minutes.
When it's out of the oven, sprinkle the top with the remaining vanilla sugar and place under the grill for a minute or so, until the vanilla sugar glazes.
Victors Mate

Postby Rowan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:55 pm

I copy all the recipes I get VM - in the hope that when I retire I can amuse myself (and get fat on all the tastings) when I get some TIME!! So....thanks to you and all the people who post their recipes. :mrgreen:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

post subject

Postby Penny » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:52 am

Thanks for that V.M. Very similar to my own but I have never used marmalade yet. Usually add a little suet to mine. Will have to try it out. cheers Penny.
Penny

Return to Recipes and Tips