What do I do with it?

Your favourite recipes and tips

What do I do with it?

Postby DaisyB » Sun May 29, 2005 10:21 am

I have been given a can of Elk meat by my son's future in laws (Finnish). Has anyone eaten this, what is the best way to serve it?
DaisyB

Postby Rowan » Sun May 29, 2005 10:44 am

Oh goodness, I wouldn't have a clue - maybe in the same way you would serve venison - I think they are all kind of deer. Maybe VM would have an idea?

Just had a thought - will go and google!!
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Rowan » Sun May 29, 2005 10:48 am

Found this - away to look again

For those new to elk meat, it "tastes like mild (almost sweet) beef, with only a very faint venison flavor. Elk can be substituted equally for venison in most standard venison recipes." Farm raised elk also allows only the most prime animals to be processed for meat sales.
"Quantity to Buy - . . . Raw boneless meat yields about 3 servings per pound after cooking. Estimate 3 to 4 ounces per person for fully-cooked products."
"How Do You Reduce the 'Gamey' Flavor? - The distinct game flavor of either birds or animals will be milder after soaking the meat overnight in the refrigerator in either a salt or vinegar solution.
Salt solution – one tablespoon per quart of cold water
Vinegar solution – one cup per quart of cold water
Use enough solution to cover the game completely. Discard the solution after soaking.
You can also marinate game to give it a savory flavor or to tenderize it. Always marinate it in the refrigerator (1 to 2 days for birds; 3 to 5 days for game animals). Boil used marinade before basting meat as it cooks or using as a sauce on the cooked meat. Discard any uncooked leftover marinade."
"Cooking Methods - The tenderness of a particular cut of game is similar to the corresponding cut of domestically-raised meat or poultry. All game tends to be leaner than that of domesticated animals, which have been bred for tenderness and fat marbling. Overcooking can toughen game. You can use moist heat, basting, and larding or barding (inserting slivers of fat or wrapping in bacon) to help keep the meat tender during cooking. Fast searing over high heat can also work for smaller cuts (7 minutes per inch of thickness - let stand 4 to 6 minutes before serving), such as tenderloin medallions or rib chops."
Here is the a table for cooking temperatures that we use:

Rare 130-135 degrees F
Medium-rare 135-140 degrees F
Medium 140-145 degrees F
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Rowan » Sun May 29, 2005 10:52 am

As it's a can of elk meat - why not try a sort of game pie?
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Monsy » Sun May 29, 2005 10:55 am

Is it ready made, like a stew?

You could put a pastry crust on it, or a "cobbler" scone topping. You could always make a meat pudding type pastry with suet (vegetarian works ok)
and steam it, or just use as a pastry topping.
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Victors Mate » Sun May 29, 2005 11:19 am

Treat it like venison. Try a casserole with a red wine sauce or sauce mix (Colemans do an acceptable one).
Victors Mate

Return to Recipes and Tips