Tips No.3. Eggs

Your favourite recipes and tips

Tips No.3. Eggs

Postby Penny » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:56 pm

When storing eggs in the fridge, keep well away from strong cheese or onions as the eggs will absorb the smell through their porous shells.

When adding more eggs to your stock mark the old ones to be used first with a pencil cross.

If you use egg yolk and have the white left over, put it in an ice cube and freeze. Can be kept for six months.

Left over egg yolks can be stored for several days if dropped in a basin of cold water.

If you keep egg whites in the fridge for several days and forget how many. Weigh them and calculate 1 white = 25g.

Brown eggs are no better that white so do not fall for the old con trick of paying more for brown ones.

If an egg is stuck in the cardboard carton, remove all others and soak the carton in cold water untl it releases the captive egg.

If you accidentally spill an uncooked egg, sprinkle it well with salt. It will absorb most of the moisture and make the cleaning up process easier.

cheers Penny.
Penny

Re: Tips No.3. Eggs

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:24 pm

Penny wrote:Brown eggs are no better that white so do not fall for the old con trick of paying more for brown ones.

cheers Penny.

Quite agree Penny. But the real reason country folk go for brown eggs is because eggshells gradually get lighter in colour as they get older and eventually become white. Therefore it is some guide to freshness if the eggs are brown.
Victors Mate

Postby dejavou » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:26 pm

Eggselent :banana:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Rowan » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:56 pm

Great Penny. Especially the tip about using salt to soak up spilled raw egg!! Wusg I'd known that two weeks ago when I dropped a box!!

I keep my eggs in the cupboard I can't remember who told me this but they said eggs were better if not stored in the fridge.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Re: Tips No.3. Eggs

Postby widget » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:41 pm

Victors Mate wrote:
Penny wrote:Brown eggs are no better that white so do not fall for the old con trick of paying more for brown ones.

cheers Penny.

Quite agree Penny. But the real reason country folk go for brown eggs is because eggshells gradually get lighter in colour as they get older and eventually become white. Therefore it is some guide to freshness if the eggs are brown.

When I kept chickens we had white and brown eggs, the dark colour chickens laid brown eggs, never heard that about white eggs being old!!!!! :roll: :roll:
widget

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:39 pm

Ann the point is brown eggshells gradually turn white as they age therefore brown eggs are fresh otherwise their shells would have turned white.
Victors Mate

Postby widget » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:02 am

So what about new laid white eggs,
have they been in the chicken a long time!!!!! :roflmao:
widget

Postby Victors Mate » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:39 pm

:groaner:
Victors Mate

Return to Recipes and Tips