3 cups all-purpose flour 
2 cups sugar 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1 teaspoon salt 
3 large eggs, beaten 
1 ½ cups vegetable oil 
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained 
2 cups chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts, divided use) 
2 cups chopped bananas 
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract 
Icing (recipe follows) 
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 3 (9-inch) round cake pans with butter; dust the bottom and sides with flour. Set aside. 
Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl and stir until well blended. Add the eggs and oil, and stir until the dry ingredients are moistened, taking care not to beat them. Stir in the pineapple and juice, 1 cup of the nuts, the bananas and vanilla. 
Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let the cakes cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then turn them out onto racks to cool completely. 

Spread the icing between the layers, stacking them on a cake plate. Ice the top and sides of cake, and sprinkle remaining nuts over the top.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Icing: Combine 2 (8-ounce) packages of cream cheese with 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, both at room temperature. Add 2 (16-ounce) boxes of powdered sugar, sifted; beat until light and fluffy. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.

This is quite close to my recipe for H'bird cake...The above frosting is OTT to me...sub whatever you wish..
Hope you enjoy the cake.

Miriam
Miriam

Postby Penny » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:14 pm

Sounds delicious, thanks Mirium,

cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Jo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:23 pm

That cake always reminds me of a friend whose only daughter was having a 21st party Birthday. The daughter had something wrong with her and went to special schools, and her mother was really going to make it a great party. She was a good cook, and over the weeks she had made several cakes, and put them in her huge chest freezer along with other things.
She was talking to another friend, who offered to make some cakes to help out, but she didn't need help, as everything was in hand, which she told her kindly, however the other friend was insisting, rather than hurt her feelings she said it was very kind of her, and would accept.

The night of the party, the House was full, and the food was 'out of this world' and plenty of it. People started to eat as soon as they came in, there was lots of Pasta dishes, loads of hot foods. Everyone was having a good time, when this other lady and her husband came in, ages after the party started, and put four cakes on the table. She and her husband stayed, although they were'nt invited. We all knew them, so didn't think anthing about it.

When people were leaving, at midnight, my friend quietly said to the lady " How much do I owe you?" (The cakes had been untouched, as everyone had had enough to eat) and the lady said " Just make it a round £100." My friend was so shocked she was shaking, got the money and give it to her.

When everyone had left she went to get a tea towel, and found a bill. for £110 for baking four 9" cakes, 1 Chocolate 1 Lemon 1 Angel 1 Hummingbird.
Letting friend know she'd let her off with the £10.

Sorry to bore you, but I couldn't do that could you?
Jo

Postby Monika » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:24 pm

What a pity your friend didn't say a thank you but as they weren't needed, perhaps the woman would like to take them back home with her.

Had it been me, I would have terminated that so-called 'friendship' that night.

Aren't some folks the pits!
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Rowan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:46 pm

I would not have given her anything - in fact I certainly wouldn't have asked how much I owed her!! What a cheek, if I offer to help someone, it's free and done gladly. I would expect the same from someone who offered to help me.

Miriam the cake sounds bliddy delish!! I back on diet again tomorrow!! :roll:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Lacemaker » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:03 pm

Gina's Aunt makes a lovely Hummingbird cake............. :rolleye11:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Jo » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:22 pm

Thanks for your comments, I am going to make one myself, following Miriam's recipe, I haven't seen one before, it sounds fattening and lovely.

I am glad you thought like me, and make things for friends, with a kind heart, for nothing. Believe this or not, this Lady charges her daughter when she comes for Sunday Lunch and half price for her grandaughter.
Jo

Postby Rowan » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:05 am

Some mother!! :evil:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Monika » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:39 pm

Queen of mean :evil:
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Return to Recipes and Tips