Lemon Meringue Pie Query!

Your favourite recipes and tips

Lemon Meringue Pie Query!

Postby toolip2 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:04 pm

I have just made a lemon meringue pie. using two lemons as it stated in the recipe I liked the tanginess but OH siad it was too sharp so maybe one lemon will suffice.

The pastry was a tad hard but I did not put too much water with it and I blind baked it for the set time. I wonder why? Any idea. The merigue was scrummy but took ages to reach the stiff peak consistency. :roll:

BTW, it was supposed to be for a dessert at our son and DIL's on Friday after our Chinese meal! It never got there aswe have eaten it watching Master Chef tonight! I said to OH in a voice that was supposed to sound like those two guys Greg and John " I like the tanginess of the lemon and the sweetness of the meringue, but you pastry is a bit hard, but well done, you can cook!" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :rolleye11:
toolip2

Postby Rowan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:09 pm

Good for you Toolip. I've tried to make lemon meringue pie many years ago -
I LOVE eating it. I used to use a packet mix for the lemon bit and my meringues are perfect but the pastry escapes me totally. I was thinking of making a kind of pie using filo pastry - alternatively does anyone have a foolproof recipe for the pastry?
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby toolip2 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:15 pm

Rowan wrote:Good for you Toolip. I've tried to make lemon meringue pie many years ago -
I LOVE eating it. I used to use a packet mix for the lemon bit and my meringues are perfect but the pastry escapes me totally. I was thinking of making a kind of pie using filo pastry - alternatively does anyone have a foolproof recipe for the pastry?

Perhaps Penny has a good recipe for soft scrummy pastry. PENNY!! WHERE ARE YOU? :please: :hide:
toolip2

Postby mazzy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:07 am

I can't make pastry so I just buy frozen. I'm neary 63, so have been trying for about 50 years!!!!!
You can buy quite qood quality read baked pastry cases in Waitrose.
mazzy

Postby Rowan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:32 pm

I know about the bought stuff - but I like thin pasty I hate that thick stuff. My grandma was the best at pastry - wish I'd watched and listened more.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby toolip2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:55 pm

I made another one today and was careful with the pastry and it has turned out much lighter. The reason I made another one was because we cut into the one that was supposed to be for a dessert at son and DIL's on Friday!!!! :rolleye11: :: :roflmao:

I did not put so much water ewith the pastry this time...much better. :roll:
toolip2

Postby mazzy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:19 am

My mother made wondeful pastry. I would stand next to her and do exactly what she was doing - hers was excellent, mine was still dreadful!!!
mazzy

Postby Penny » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Sorry to be late with this, did put it on before but must have pressed the wrong entry button.
I am not an expert so I can only make a suggestion'

8 OZ PL. FLOUR
4 OZ MARG (for savoury use 2 oz marg and 2 oz lard, omit sugar)
1 DESSERT SPOON SUGAR
4 DESSERT SPOONS COLD WATER

If marg is hard put on plate and cut in chunks
Put flour and marg in a bowl and using a knife, chop fat about a bit
Using fingers, mix to breadcrumb consituency
Add sugar and most or all of the water, as necessary DO NOT OVERMIX
When mixed nicely put in clingfilm and place in fridge for 30min.

Put flour on a board and roll pastry in one direction only, away from the body, turning the pastry and not the direction of the rolling pin.

NOTE. if you do not turn on the oven until you have finished mixing, it will remind you to make sure pastry is cold before rolling. As most places are warm these days, it is necessary to cool the mix down before rolling.

Let me know if this helps.

cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Rowan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks Penny, have copied this to my recipe file.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby toolip2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:00 pm

Penny wrote:Sorry to be late with this, did put it on before but must have pressed the wrong entry button.
I am not an expert so I can only make a suggestion'

8 OZ PL. FLOUR
4 OZ MARG (for savoury use 2 oz marg and 2 oz lard, omit sugar)
1 DESSERT SPOON SUGAR
4 DESSERT SPOONS COLD WATER

If marg is hard put on plate and cut in chunks
Put flour and marg in a bowl and using a knife, chop fat about a bit
Using fingers, mix to breadcrumb consituency
Add sugar and most or all of the water, as necessary DO NOT OVERMIX
When mixed nicely put in clingfilm and place in fridge for 30min.

Put flour on a board and roll pastry in one direction only, away from the body, turning the pastry and not the direction of the rolling pin.

NOTE. if you do not turn on the oven until you have finished mixing, it will remind you to make sure pastry is cold before rolling. As most places are warm these days, it is necessary to cool the mix down before rolling.

Let me know if this helps.

cheers Penny

Thanks, Penny.

I did this yesterday and the pastry was much better . I will remember to roll it away form me next time. I do not overload the board with flower. My family loved my effort. 8)
toolip2

Return to Recipes and Tips