Cramp.

Health issues

Cramp.

Postby Maywalk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:58 am

Anyone got any cures for this?????
I am already on Quinine but it doesn't seem to help. :huffin:

I have been walking about with cramp in my calves half the night trying not to yell out in case my hubby and the next door neighbours thought I was being attacked.
Gawd its SO b****y painful when it starts. :evil:

I am thinking of trying the old Romany cure of getting corks and putting them under my pillow at night.
I mean the real corks out of wine bottles but I never see any now. Quinine doesn't seem to work for me. :sad:
Maywalk

Postby mazzy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:17 pm

I find that cramp seems to go in cycles - when I get my first 'attack' I take crampeze tablets - they do seem to work.
I tried quinine but had the most horrendous nightmares - preferred to have cramp!

This is the info from crampex web site - disn't want to make a fool of myself and find they had quinine in :oops:

CRAMPEX Tablets contain Calcium Gluconate, Colecalciferol and Nicotinic Acid:

•Calcium Gluconate replaces deficiency of calcium
•Colecalciferol assists in the absorption of calcium
•Nicotinic Acid improves circulation
mazzy

Postby Maywalk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi Mazzy
I have to be extremely careful what tablets I take because of all the meds I am on. I am on 9 different meds a day which includes my asthmatic inhalers. That is why the doc put me on the quinine.
I dare not go and buy stuff over the counter because of it interacting with all the medication I am taking especially the latest tablets for the Epilepsy. :huffin:

I will ask the consultant when I go to see him to find out if he has any solutions.

It makes me feel worn out though after a disturbed night like last night. :sad:
Maywalk

Postby dejavou » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Maybe it's some of the meds that is causing the cramp Maisie, ask your Doctor, I find that Zinc tablets help restless legs and cramp
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Maywalk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Yes I am going to mention it Deja when I go again.
The ruddy meds can cause more problems than what is the matter with a person in the first place. :evil:
Maywalk

Postby Monsy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:19 pm

I know what you mean about the pain Maisie! I have started to have it in my hands as well, horrible feeling, but not as painful as the leg ones.

I find that applying heat helps, either one of thon wheat bag thingies in the microwave, or if I can make it without yelping, a quick blast in the shower.

Most of the time I just lie there swearing :oops:
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:26 pm

I find sitting with my foot flat on the floor then raising the heel so flexing the foot and calf helps I do this several times and then walk about a bit.. I don't take tablets but I do use Ibuleve ointment which seems to help a little.
Like Mazzy I find it comes and goes.
Victors Mate

Postby Maywalk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:05 pm

I have been suffering for many years from this VM and I have tried everything going.
Heat, stretching exercises, plus the quinine and tonic water but I still get it. :evil:

If anyone has any of the real old fashioned corks to put under my pillow I am even willing try that. :mrgreen:
Maywalk

Postby Corrie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:59 pm

I could send you corks Maisie but I don't think they'd work! Have you tried honey, they say taking some at each meal time can help. I suffer with RLS, I'm still not totally convinced it is that because no-one else I've spoken to with restless leg syndrome suffers from burning in the muscle area in one leg, I've got my right leg in and out of bed like I was doing the hokey cokey, I make the duvet into a "tent" to get it off my leg...drives me nuts and I've suffered with it for years! A couple of years ago I was struck with Bells Palsy (thought I was having a stroke at the time). The tablets they gave me for it stopped the burning in my leg!!! Sad thing is I could only have them for 6 months maximum, as soon as they stopped the burning returned. Occasionally I get cramp in the legs but I find putting my foot flat on the tiled floor (we've tiles throughout) stops it in a minute or so.
Corrie

Postby Maywalk » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:26 pm

Tried everything in the book Corrie including a magnet that I used to have under my pillow that was supposed to help.
I do get out to walk on the kitchen floor because that is cold tiling but it doesn't help, especially when my toes come out in sympathy with my legs and decide to turn upwards to look at the b****y ceiling. :evil: :mrgreen:
Maywalk

Postby Corrie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:09 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm trying to visualise you and its difficult :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Corrie

Postby Jann » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:30 pm

Jann

Postby Maywalk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks Jann,
I have read that page before and I tried the exercises that they have shown but it didn't make much difference. :huffin:

I have suffered with cramp ever since I was a youngster and its getting worse now that I am older. Nothing worse than walking up and down half the ruddy night trying to ease the pain off.
Maywalk

Return to Health and Well-being