Cough cough cough :(:(

Health issues

Re: Cough cough cough :(:(

Postby Monsy » Tue May 15, 2012 11:10 am

Jann, Re your pets. Have you got an ioniser?

It must be like slow torture for you, I hope you get better soon.

The holiday may do you some good, the change of air etc.
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby jessiejane » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:59 am

Oh Jan, have been reading the topic and replies to your original groan re persistent coughing. I could have been reading about myself, and as for the cough at night, my son is no doubt fed-up with my cough as would be the neighbours. When I am in bed at night I can hear people coming along the road, coughing, so realised they can hear me, so now I have to try and cough into a scrunched up duvet , atempting to smother the cough, in the attempt I am near suffocating. I was diagnosed with COPD back in 1984 but it is only the last 2/3 years that I have this persistent cough, drives me to distraction. Have had all the medications so far, apart from oxygen, 3 inhalers, steroids and a machine for the liquid salbutumol, Like you I have incontinence due to the cough and wear the pads at night, saves the rush to the toilet and also clothes. What a way to live indeed, however the reason for all this is to find out how you are now, you wrote in March and had several options open as to those investigating your health, so far as it is now July, wondered whether you have been seen to by hospitals and how you are now, what diagnosis did you get and what help. Please post again, to say how you are. :cry: Jessiejane
jessiejane

Postby Jann » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:42 pm

I too have been diagnosed with COPD having had a spirometer test last week :sad: my cough did get better eventually but we were both quite ill with the breathing until I had to get an ambulance out for my husband,he was admitted at the beginning of June and was in there for two weeks almost,he is on oxygen 15 hrs per day,lost a lot of weight ,he is on calorific drinks every day prescribed by the GP and looking frail and old...he is 78 but every day he is getting a little stronger and less depressed....as for me the GP advised that if I develop another cough next Winter in not hesitate in making an appointment...one thing you could try is Pulmo Bailly ,foul tasting but it does stop you coughing,about £4,give it a go,also cider vinegar hot water with honey and lemon is another good remedy,good luck ,try to keep smiling :grouphug:
Jann

Postby e » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:23 pm

So this makes three of us here now with COPD so :welcome1: to the club Jann. I hope you don't think I'm being flippant when I say I'm not sorry about your diagnosis, because at least you HAVE a diagnosis at last and can take steps to stabilise the condition.

I hope you have a team of caring health professionals, but if not, then the British Lung Foundation Helpline is a good place to start and they have a good Forum there with lots of useful information and support from fellow COPD'ers.

Keep on keeping on :)
e

Postby Jann » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:25 pm

Monsy wrote:Jann, Re your pets. Have you got an ioniser?

It must be like slow torture for you, I hope you get better soon.

The holiday may do you some good, the change of air etc.

We had to cancel the holiday Mons,it was only at Chapel St Leonards,but it would have been a break at least :sad:
Jann

Postby Monsy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:51 am

Ocht, that's a shame! Did you give any thought to getting an ioniser?
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Jann » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:02 am

Not at the moment Mons......we had a complete change of central heating last week as Mick is unable to see to the solid fuel stove,I had to make the small bedroom into a sitting room for him,buying a TV as he had to be away from the mess the change caused, him now being on the oxygen......and now I am having panic attacks seeing my GP on Wednesday absolutely fed up :sad:
I have a dog and two cats as well as Mick to look after is there any wonder ,sorry to moan but I am not coping :cry:
Jann

Postby dita » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:51 pm

Jann so sorry to read above, wish I could give you a big cuddle.xxxx

Not that I haven't pressures myself too, but not as much as you at the moment.
dita

Postby Jann » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Awe thanks Dita for your support I used to cope well with most things but I seem to have the lost the ability to do just that.. :sad: xxxxxx
Jann

Postby e » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Have you told anyone you're not feeling able to cope at the moment Jann ....... ? There is help out there for you and for hubby, but - unfortunately - you have to ask/apply for it first. It's never offered as a matter of course :tantrum2: I'm surprised your GP hasn't discussed this with you.

:bighugs: :bighugs: *hoping something's sorted for you soon*
e

Postby mazzy » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:33 am

I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time. I

When I got very low a while back my GP said that there comes a time in your life when you realise that you are not invincible, and when you have been a very capable person it comes as a bit of a shock.

She prescribed at least an hour a day 'me' time....wich does seem to help.

I can imagine how it has all got too much for you - with the new central heating installation maybe being the final straw.

I hope your GP will be be able to help you.
mazzy

Postby Jann » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Many thanks friends....I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon with my GP just hope I don't break down as I feel like doing just that at the moment. :sad:
Jann

Postby dejavou » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Don't worry if you do break done Jann, it will only emphasise to the doctor how you're feeling, and anyway you won't be the first or last to have a blub in the surgery.

Hope you get something to help
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby jessiejane » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:35 am

Jann, I am so sorry to know you are not coping so well at the moment not really surprising, you have a lot on your plate at the moment,As you are having to cope with everything and the heating change-over, the pressure has got to you and being diagnosed with COPD is the last thing you need. When I first got it I was having trouble breathing, the slightest movement exhausted me, I was unable to get out from the bedroom to the lounge, as the shape of my flat is awkward, the lounge is in the middle with a wall all round and a corridor taking me to the bedrooms, so a long walk, impossible to do , then. I called out my Doctor who gave me steroids to start with, magic I was absolutle fine, but within a short time I was back again again, struggling. I called the doc aout again twice more and on the 2nd visit, before he even got through the door, called out, "you can't keep calling me out because you can't breathe." Not receiving any help from that quarter I found it very difficult to cope, and got down to a new low, feeling worse all the time. Decided then that after hearing those encouraging words ? I suddenly make a recovery enough to transfer to another surgery. The new doc did so much to help and I started picking up and learnt to drive, bought a small caravan and even took a couple of school pick-ups jobs. Your health depends on the encouragement and help from the right source so do talk to your doctor, don't hold back, men always think we women are invincible and can cope with anything. I wish you so many good thoughts and really hope to have much improved news of you many people thinking of you and wishing you the same, :grouphug: Jessiejane
jessiejane

Postby Jann » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks again friends....

I didn't break down but I saw a lovely Doctor who listened to me and agreed that if I am not kind to myself I can't continue to care for Mick which in turn would be no good for either of us....he asked if I would complete a questionnaire and would I like counselling or medication ,as I haven't time for counselling I chose medication Paroxetine and have to go back to see the Doctor a week from today.

I have already taken one so we will see he did mention they may make me nauseous,no flame without fire is there.??

Our Daughter and husband are taking me to Sizzlers tonight so that will be a change ,cheap and cheeful ,but okay,bye for now and thanks once again.. :thankyou:
Jann

PreviousNext

Return to Health and Well-being