Bowel screening...

Health issues

Bowel screening...

Postby Jann » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:31 am

Last October I had the bowel screening procedure,I had a letter to say all was normal...all well and good,until last month when I suffered a perforated bowel and was admitted into hospital in an emergency situation,following all this I now have to have a colonoscopy as there was something in the bowel that shouldn't be in there....now my question is was the screening a waste of time????
Jann

Postby Maywalk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:49 am

I think I would be asking that question of those that took it Jann.

Find out WHAT they did discover at that time IF anything and if there was nothing showing ask how it is that this has happened since then.

Talking about health matters we have a pharmacist visiting us this morning to discuss the medication I am taking. I am on 7 different tablets a day plus two different puffers and it takes me all my time to get my breath. When I told the consultant last week that at least six of the tablets have side effects concerning shortness of breath he told me the manufacturers have to put that on just to cover themselves.
The mind boggles, so that is why I am saying query the bowel screening that you had last year to find out why nothing was showing up then.
I hope all goes well for you because it must be a very worrying time but if it helps at all I am still waiting to find out why I have been having blackouts and waking up to find the paramedic at the side of the bed administering oxygen since I have been taking the epileptic tablet.
This growing old business isn't all its b****y cracked up to be. :mrgreen:
Maywalk

Postby Monsy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:52 am

I have had two of thon packs for bowel screening (and another letter to say they were still waiting)

It says they are only searching for signs of blood. So perhaps they don't look for anything else if they don't find blood :dunno:
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby mazzy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:01 pm

I have had 2 friends where there were concerns with the screening - one had a polyp, which was removed. The other was found to have bowel cancer, and is undergoing treatment at the moment, so I think they are very worthwhile, and certainly not a waste of time.

Another friend was advised to consult with his GP. Eventually they found that there were no problems with his bowels, but variuos blood tests indicated a problem, and he has been diagnosed with Chronic Lymphatic Leukemia.

As Monsy said, they do only look for signs of blood, and that a 'good' result doesn't really preclude other problems.

So sorry that you are having these problems Jann, and hope all goes well for you.
mazzy

Postby Victors Mate » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:47 pm

My brother had bowel cancer and after treatment he is (touchwood) clear apart from regular check ups.

My advice to you is the same as my advice to him await the results of the colonoscopy and then ask for a copy of your medical records.
Victors Mate

Return to Health and Well-being