I was knackered .................

Health issues

I was knackered .................

Postby Maywalk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:01 pm

after having this done this morning at the hospital. :roll: :
Its taken me at least 4 hours to get back to what I term as normal. I still wont know the results until the consultant has seen them. :huffin:
That mouthpiece that I had to shove in my mouth was much bigger than any sodding snorkel and you have to bite on it at the same time. What with that shoved in the mouth plus the nose clip on I was getting lightheaded. :evil:
I would NOT wish it on my worst enemy especially if they are like me and always out of puff. :huffin:

Lung function tests

These are tests to see how well you can breathe in and out.

When you arrive, the tester will measure your weight and height. If they can't measure your height (if you are in a wheelchair, for example), they will measure your arm span - this gives them a guide to your height.

For the tests, you will need to blow into a machine. With some machines, you blow into a tube; for others, you put a mouthpiece in your mouth, like a snorkel, and then blow. You will usually have to do this several times - but the tester will not rush you.

If you are breathing through your nose, and this is affecting your breathing test, you may be asked to wear a nose-clip.

If you wear dentures and they're loose, then you might need to take them out when you blow into the machine.

Occasionally, the tester might ask you to sit in a booth, which looks a bit like a small see-through shower cubicle. The door will be closed and the test will be done while you sit inside. This will help your tester get more detailed results.

The tests should take between 30 minutes and one hour. But if you are very breathless, they may take longer. You won't be rushed through.

Peak flow and spirometry tests
The most common types of breathing tests are peak flow, which is measured by a peak flow meter, and spirometry, which is measured by a spirometer.

Peak flow test: this measures the fastest speed you can blow out. To do the test you take the biggest breath in that you can and then blow out as fast as you can. The results are useful in diagnosing asthma and deciding on its treatment.

Spirometry test: this measures your FEV1 - which is how much air you can expel from your lungs in the first second of breathing out. It can help tell whether your breathing is obstructed by narrowing of the bronchial tubes (as found in asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)). The FEV1 is useful in diagnosing COPD, telling how severe it is and how it might develop.
Maywalk

Postby dejavou » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Thank God there was no oral sex involved Maisie, sorry lowering the tone yet again :hide: Let's hope they get to the bottom of things and make life easier for you in the long term :grouphug:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Corrie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:03 pm

Blimey Maisie, after all that I hope they find some answers for you ! xx
Corrie

Postby Maywalk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Yes me too.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that its something that can be sorted out with inhalers although I am already on two now. :dunno:
Maywalk

Postby Lacemaker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 am

I hope it turns out to have been worth it, Maisie. :grouphug:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Monsy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:30 am

as long as you ARE still breathing Maisie. I would have been gagging, I hate things going in my mouth.

Shuttit Deja!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby dejavou » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:31 am

Monsy .... moi :hide: what do you mean :banana:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Lacemaker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:58 am

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty