Itchy eyes

Health issues

Itchy eyes

Postby e » Mon May 09, 2005 2:57 pm

For several years now I've had a problem with 'itchy eyes'. Unfortunately when they itch (and it's right in the corner) I can't resist rubbing my eyes and quite often make them bloodshot, sore and no doubt I damage the skin around the eye too :cry: It's very uncomfortable, my eyes constantly weep and I can't detect a particular pattern as to when it occurs.

The nurse practitioner at my gp's surgery believes it's some sort of allergy and has prescribed anti-histamine tablets. I take one each night before I go to bed (they work better as a sleeping pill :!: :lol: ) but during the past two/three weeks they don't seem to be alleviating the problem at all :cry:

My fella, Ian, says it because I spend such a lot of time on the pc, and that's why they're getting worse :cry:

I am not due to see my optician again until July, but suspect that my eyesight is suffering too.

Does anyone else have this problem, or any suggestion as to what might help :?: It's driving me crazy :!: :!: :roll: :shock:

e

Postby dejavou » Mon May 09, 2005 4:03 pm

It certainly sounds like an allergy e, could it be your soap? I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and I was advised to stop using soap on my face. Now I just rinse with cold water and I've not had the problem since
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby mazzy » Mon May 09, 2005 7:33 pm

Seeing how quickly you did the word play I think Ian may well be on to something!
Seriously though, I had a similar problem...not as bad...and got some eye drops from Boots. I can't remember what they were called but they were very soothing.
mazzy

Postby widget » Mon May 09, 2005 8:29 pm

I have what is called 'Dry Eye' it is prickly and sore and I rub my eyes, have had drops from optician, no good, must go to doctor some day.
widget

Postby vannin » Mon May 09, 2005 8:48 pm

I had a GP tell me a few years ago 'We don't know about eyes here, that's why we make referrals to Stoke Mandeville Eye Clinic'.Doctors, eh?

That was after they mis-diagnosed my eyes, first with 'allergy' then with 'infection' and the two kinds of wrong drops caused months of serious deterioration and emergency at the hospital. With any kind of knowledge they would have linked it to the fact I have Arthritis. But no! We have to work things out for ourselves.

Actually it was the Pharmacist in the end. I described how my eyes had been in the first place which is the same as Widget's condition, Dry Eye. The Pharmacist knew it immediately, and sold me Hypermellose drops. That was exactly the requirement, it was five years ago and I have used it daily ever since. It has gone up from 85p a time to over a pound, but not much to pay, to keep my eyes healthy.

So, if any of you eye sufferers also have arthritis, or vice versa, it is probably Dry Eye, and Hypermellose would be the answer.
vannin

Postby Victors Mate » Mon May 09, 2005 9:04 pm

Elaine do you get blisters or any other sort of skin problems if so it could be an allergy and you are transferring it to your eyes by rubbing them.

I occassionally get blisters due to handling plants in the garden and I have to be careful not to rub my eyes and transfer the infection as I have done in the past.
Victors Mate

Postby Orchidea » Mon May 09, 2005 9:52 pm

I have started to get itchiness and soreness of the eyes, but I do know why, the rape is all over the fields just now - what with that and council grass cutting the pollen count has rocketed.

I would make an earlier appointment with the optician, they are the experts on eyes. Go to a small independant one, they are the best, I never touch those multiglomerate places.
Orchidea

Postby DaisyB » Mon May 09, 2005 10:14 pm

Rape is dreadful stuff, it affects Dave and me, but Dave much worse. He can smell the stuff from half a mile away. He had to cycle through a field of it a couple of years ago and ended up fighting for breath. Black cats have the same affect on him, and feathers.
If we stay with friends overnight we have to take a synthetic pillow with us in case they have feather pillows.
Just a thought Elaine, you don't get moisturiser near your eyes do you? I sometimes accidently get it too close to my eyes and that makes them sore. Bright sun makes me cry and sneeze.
DaisyB

Postby vannin » Mon May 09, 2005 10:21 pm

Where we have just stayed had fields of rape at the front and back, and I have watched to see whether it set us off. We have not been affected by it in the past, but know how allergies can start in middle age...........like all my food intolerances after 60 years eating anything I liked.

So now the eye problem of 'E' has brought suggestions of Allergy or the Dry Eye that comes with Arthritis.
vannin

Postby Maywalk » Tue May 10, 2005 11:10 am

http://www.allergyterminator.com/rhinit ... itchyeyes/

I have found this site if it will be of any use to folks who suffer with itchy eyes
Maywalk

Return to Health and Well-being