Concussion?

Health issues

Concussion?

Postby DaisyB » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:26 pm

On Thursday morning, having searched for something in a kitchen cupboard and not finding it, I looked in the fridge. Why didn’t I shut the cupboard door first? I got up and hit my head on the sharp lip used for opening it. Ouch, it hurt then and is still very tender now. It felt like it was bleeding but wasn’t.

I was fine on the rest of Thursday and Friday until 5.30pm when I got one of those sun/bright spots in my eye that distorts the vision and it wouldn’t clear for about an hour. I carried on getting our evening meal as usual. Just as I finished my meal the phone rang, I answered as Dave was still eating. I took a message for him and buy the time I got back in the room with Dave I couldn’t remember what the message was, I had a real struggle to remember. That frightened me. So I thought I’d sit quiet and read the paper. Well I could see the printed words but could make no sense of them, it was taking a long time for me to ‘read’ them.

Dave asked if I had a headache, no I didn’t. He made me a cup of tea and went to his office. I was rudely awoken by me pouring my tea in my lap. Panic starts to set in now.
The headache came just before going to bed and I woke with it this morning. I took painkillers and went to get my hair trimmed and to collect a prescription. I spoke to the pharmacist who said I should go to the hospital. I know, I really shouldn’t have driven on reflection. I feel woozy and my head is sore.

So, having phoned Brightdoc, our out of hours medical line, I now have to go to Outpatients at the hospital at 4pm today. I guess we won’t be going to our friend’s 50th birthday party tonight after all.
DaisyB

Postby Shutterfrog » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:39 pm

Take good care and I hope the report comes back that no damage was done. Will be watching for update.
Shutterfrog
Clicker B

Postby Monsy » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:43 pm

OOOOOOOH June, that sounds sore! I hope the damage isn't too bad.
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby dejavou » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:34 pm

Ouch June, I felt that for you .,.......... hope all's found to be well after your Outpatients visit
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby DaisyB » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:21 pm

Thanks for your messages.

Well I'm back. It wasn't concussion as I wasn't unconscious after the bump. He says it's a mystery but from what I have described it could have been a mini epileptic fit (because Dave wasn't in the room when I tipped my tea in my lap, so I could have dozed off...or not), a mini ischaemic attack (I have to look that one up) or I could going through a migraine (?). I have to see my own doctor on Monday (he has faxed her) and suggests she gets me in to see a neurologist.
He told me to take it easy this evening, go to the party if I won't to (I don't feel up to it really, so Dave is going to pop down to give Sharon her her present and have a quick drink with her and our other friends). He said I can drive tomorrow if I feel up to it.
So all a bit vague really. I'll just have to see what my doc says on Monday. He did say that I was right to phone Brightdoc and that I was not wasting their time.
DaisyB

Postby Emm » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:15 pm

Hope you get the all clear on Monday, June.
Emm

Postby Shutterfrog » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:26 pm

same here, June. Rest well over the weekend.
Shutterfrog
Clicker B

Postby dejavou » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:33 pm

That sounds like good advice June .... get them feet up and do NOWT
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Lacemaker » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:20 pm

June, it is sooooo easy to do these things especially if you are concentrating on something else. Hope you get the all clear and are feeling better very quickly.
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Rowan » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:11 pm

I'm so glad you are okay Daisy. When you think what could have happened, you should have gone to casualty right away with a knock on the head like that (says she who does that kind of thing regularly)!!

I have had migraines like that - they are very strange with almost no headache but frozen down the one side and dribbling when I try to drink. VERY scarey!!
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby DaisyB » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:15 pm

Well I'm back from my doctor's. She feels it is highly unlikely that I have had a TIA, because of the Clopidogrel that I take, but will refer me to a TIA clinic to be checked out as a 'belt and braces' exercise. Phew, thank goodness.
She says that being unwell anyway and the blow to the head probably just gave me a 'funny turn' which was just a one off. But I must let her know if it happens again. She has prescribed a weeks rest to get rid of whatever virus has a hold of me, though I hope to get back to work on Wednesday as I don't want my work piling up.
I should get an appointment at the TIA clinic in 4-5 weeks.
DaisyB

Return to Health and Well-being