RSI....

Health issues

RSI....

Postby Jann » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:14 pm

My own fault but I am suffering with RSI right wrist ,too much Kindling and Computering :roll: I have bought an elastic support which is quite strong but it is soooooooo painful ,don't really want to visit the doctor,taking painkillers and rubbing Tiger balm in it ,never realised before how much I use my right hand ....anyone know anything about the condition other than the info on the net ??? thanks in anticipation. :please:
Jann

Re: RSI....

Postby Andere Richtingen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Some years ago, I worked with someone who developed RSI in both wrists from excessive keyboarding. She had to wear splints most of the time for several months and was advised by her doctors not to use the keyboard at all but she needed to keep her job so she disobeyed. She did restrict the amount she did, however, and only worked with proper wrist support. Things did improve but, IIRC, it took well over a year.

I do a lot of typing on a laptop and I wear Wrist Donuts to alleviate strain - see http://www.wristdonut.com/ - they take a little bit of getting used to but I wouldn't be without them now.

Oddly, I've recently started to get pain in my right thumb which I suspect is RSI from using the Page Forward/Page Back buttons on my Kindle. I'm finding it [img]really[/img] hard to keep remembering to use a different digit or the other hand; the thing just fits to your right thumb so neatly!
Andere Richtingen

Postby Jann » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks Andere I have bought this and it does seem to help.....
however your one looks interesting,and yes I am doing that with my right thumb when Kindling :cry:
Jann

Postby Corrie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:56 pm

Never seen the donut before so that looks interesting ... thanks for the link.
Corrie

Postby dita » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:10 pm

I have this problem too, plus, have also got a swelling on my wrist very much like a ganglion, it is bigger than a pea and is on the same line as my thumb. A wrist support certainly does help. Thanks for the link.
dita

Postby Corrie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:57 pm

The thing is most of us are not sitting at a desk with the right height chair. I can't get away with any of the laptop tables that I've bought and can't bear the laptop resting on my knees, so I resolved to use it for a short while whilst at the dining table and then I go onto my Kindle Fire HD when I'm relaxing in the lounge.
Corrie

Postby dita » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:32 pm

I got a Fire for Xmas Corrie, just getting used to it.
Know exactly what you mean about having laptop on ya knee,
I can't either, its on a stand and I find it very hard to get comfy.
Have my arms leaning on chair arm.
dita

Postby Jann » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:13 pm

I managed too get an appointment with my GP,he thinks it's arthritis ! and not carpel tunnel/RSI ....I have an X-Ray appoinment next Tuesday so we'll see,he prescribed Co-codamol/paracetemol which is making me so tired,but relieving the pain.....will keep you posted and this growing old is not nice.... :tantrum2:
Jann

Postby vannin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:26 am

My wrists used to be bad before I retired, and occasionally since then, after prolonged keyboard use. But it was the elbows that were banjaxed by RSI since twelve years ago, as well as the neck. Chiropractic wrenches of the neck/head were done every few weeks for a few years, quite expensively! Maybe not wise since the condition was pronounced to be cervical spondylosis and not just an extension of the RSI.

Three times I had a cortisone injection into the elbow tendons, and each time the improvement lasted a few weeks. The past two years they have been much better, purely because I stopped lifting heavy shopping.....and Charlie!! The healing would never have a chance otherwise. 4-year-old Charlie can scramble for himself! Heavy shopping comes in the fortnightly deliveries. Keyboarding is done in short bursts.

I hope your wrists will soon be sorted out, Jann.

Viv
vannin

Postby Jann » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks friends.....I saw the doctor yesterday for the X-ray results,I have arthritis of the wrist wear and tear etc,the doctor gave me a prescription for over a hundred paracetomol and codeine,just a good thing I wasn't planning to do away with meself ...hurting like hell today :sad:
Jann

Postby e » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:32 pm

So sorry to hear of your difficulties Jann :( hope the painkillers offer you some relief :now:

For quite some time now I've had a tingling sensation in the palm of my hand, extending to the fingers and thumb. I'm putting it down to overuse of the mouse and am sure I'm not gripping it properly. It sometimes becomes quite painful :roll:

The wrist donut looks interesting though, and I might investigate further ;)
e

Postby Jann » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:29 pm

Had a thought today :roll: I remembered the bamboo knitting needles I was advised to use a while back,so out my knitting bag came with still half a sock on them ,with all Micks illness I had completely forgotten them supposed to be good for Arthritis,so I will attempt to finish the socks :rolleye11:
Jann

Postby dejavou » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:38 pm

I use a lap tray (one of those with the polystyrene beads in) for my laptop, this stops a lot of the heat getting to the legs, works for me, although it's more comfy with legs raised, saves the back that way
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Jann » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:32 am

Jann wrote:Had a thought today :roll: I remembered the bamboo knitting needles I was advised to use a while back,so out my knitting bag came with still half a sock on them ,with all Micks illness I had completely forgotten them supposed to be good for Arthritis,so I will attempt to finish the socks :rolleye11:

Well finished one sock and trying it on Mick said " You're not going to walk about in them are you ?" er what else does one do with socks :ithanku:
Jann

Postby dejavou » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:40 pm

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Next

Return to Health and Well-being