Blood Pressure Medication

Health issues

Postby Monsy » Tue May 30, 2006 9:50 am

I wonder if it might be due to pollen, Kevin?
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby dabthoms » Wed May 31, 2006 10:27 am

I'm fortunate to have survived four heart attacks in recent years. Of the medication I've been taking as a consequence Atenolol was nearly my downfall. It reduced my blood pressure to the extent that my pulse rate dropped to 30 and only a smart admittance into the cardiac unit restored the status quo! Currently the daily intake is Doxazosin Mesilate, Elantan, Ferrous Sulphate, Furosemide, Losartan Potassium, Nicorandil, Pravastatin and Pulmicort Turbohaler, some taken twice daily. Definitely no Atenolol!
dabthoms

Postby Rowan » Wed May 31, 2006 12:11 pm

Atenolol doesn't agree with me either. I have been on the same medication for about 4 years now and (fingers crossed) blood pressure is fairly steady and while not low - is acceptable.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dita » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:19 pm

One thing I do know that when I went in hospital I was taken off all medication, these were Atenolol and other B.P medication, the consequences were my bloodpressure went so high they were concerned I would have a severe stroke. This continued for about 3days, besides going out of my head my vision was distorted I could not walk straight and was doing and saying all sorts of weird things much to the shock of everyone on the ward, they just thought I was off my trolley and me I did not care. So be careful it just shows how powerful they are. :cheeky4:
dita

Postby Rosie » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:44 pm

Atenolol didn't reduce my blood pressure one iota, but made me walk about in a dream and I felt as if the top of my head was coming off....horrible sensation.

I've found the combination of Doxazosin and Bedroflumethiazide have kept my blood pressure steady at an acceptable level for the past three years.
Rosie

Postby Rowan » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:43 pm

Me too Rosie and I don't seem to have any side effects with either of them.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Tiddles » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:26 am

New advice on blood-pressure drug

A class of drugs called beta-blockers should no longer be given to patients with high blood pressure, the NHS drugs watchdog for England and Wales says.

Other drugs are better at treating the condition, also known as hypertension, which affects 40% of adults, it says.

The guidance from the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence says using beta-blockers can also increase the risk of diabetes.

But patients on the drugs are urged to keep taking them until seeing their GP.

The guidance, developed in conjunction with the British Hypertension Society, is an update of NICE guidance published in 2004 - but only the section on drugs for managing hypertension has been republished.

More
Tiddles

Postby Tiddles » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:29 am

Rosie wrote:Atenolol didn't reduce my blood pressure one iota, but made me walk about in a dream and I felt as if the top of my head was coming off....horrible sensation.

I've found the combination of Doxazosin and Bedroflumethiazide have kept my blood pressure steady at an acceptable level for the past three years.

This used to happen to me when I took my tablets (motens) with my fruit juice at breakfast time.

I now taken them an hour after breakfast and have no problems,

Did you know that you must Not take pineapple juice with them?
Tiddles

Postby dita » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:33 pm

With my Cardioplen XL which is felodopine, it is a bad idea to ever eat grapefruit or drink the juice. Had no idea pineapple was also a problem with some BP medication. It is stated though that GRAPEFRUIT certainly is.
dita

Postby Rowan » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:41 pm

I can't eat grapefruit with my Lipitor pills (atoravastatin)
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dita » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:32 pm

Must find out about the pineapple because I love it, never heard it was a problem. The same as Rowan grapefruit certainly is. That is two of us. Anymore of you out there with any taboo everyday do's and dont's with medication?
dita

Postby Josieclick » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:36 am

Following excellent results re my blood pressure readings a couple of weeks ago,I now have an appointment with the cardiac clinic this coming Monday.....to review my medication,soooooooooooo hopefully I will be able to come off the Atenolol and Bendroflurazide,oh and yes this is all due to not partaking of the grape :magnify:
Josieclick

Postby vannin » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:56 am

My Atorvastatin agreed with me nicely, then I was changed to Simvastatin as part of 'their' economising. I thought this was a general, countrywide thing. It costs a fraction of other statins.

There is a bit of side effect, so I must take up the matter at the forthcoming annual Cardio/TIA check.
vannin

Postby dita » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:28 pm

Anyway they can save money they will. As patients now we are just part of their money making, they have to beat all those targets. Tick all those boxes, make loads of money!!!!
dita

Postby Josieclick » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:27 pm

So that's the reason.....
....announced the cardiac clinic nurse...me being 70 now ....

I had to attend a cardiac clinic this afternoon ...the letter said to review my medication following blood pressure / blood tests you know the type of thing,so along I toddle with hope in my heart that I could come off all the medication,as I borrow a blood pressure monitor so I had taken an average...seemed good....my staff nurse daughter refuses to get involved !!!,and the blood tests as I understood were okay,not so ......it seems my cholesterol is high,6 whatever that may mean,and I would need to take a Statin ?! along with an aspirin per day,along with the Bendrofluethiazide,along with Atenolol which I am being weaned off anyway,now here is the good bit........

Let's say four years ago when I was a drinker and a smoker,the reason for all the high readings was because I had these habits,so I stopped them both,not had a cigarette since 2002,and the booze went last year,so you would think that being a good girl I would show some improvement,not over weight,and I am an active yoga gal........................so now all this is because I was 70 this last June,forget the fags,drink and all the other excuses there are it's 'cos I'm 70.......but of course,why didn't I think of that
Josieclick

PreviousNext

Return to Health and Well-being