Blood Pressure Medication

Health issues

Postby Victors Mate » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:42 pm

My medication for high blood pressure consists of:-

1 2.5mg tablet Bendroflumethiazide.
1 10mg tablet Amlodipine besilate
1 8mg tablet Perindopril

Whether this is good, bad or indifferent I haven't got a clue but it appears to work for me.
Victors Mate

Postby dita » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:10 am

Is Amlodipine a calcium channel drug? and is the other Perindopril an Ace Inhibitor? There is so many names for the same drugs, it gets confusing.
dita

Postby vannin » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:42 pm

Rowan, the reason you are kept on statins while having low cholesterol level, is because it is a precaution against having another TIA. So I have been told. My reading is 3.7.

Now I too have joined you ranks of BP medication takers! I went a week ago to the TIA clinic doctor following my annual batch of blood tests.

Thyroid function TSH was steady (4.4)
Cholesterol still 3.7.
However my BP which has ALways been low, except during pregnancies so long ago, had risen to 145 over 98. Had to return to the nurse for check on Thurs and it had dropped a little. Today I was back with the doctor (I usually prefer to see one no more than once a year) for an eye condition. Took my BP which has rocketed to 165 over 103. So I have been put on Lisinopril @ 2.5 mgs. To add to my
Daily aspirin 75 mg
Atorvastatin 10 mg (thank goodness, as I really struggled with the Simvastatin)
Thyroxine 150 mcg
Dicloverine for the weird intolerances (as and when)
plus the Glucosamine and eye drops.

Purely by coincidence :thinking: BP started to rise after a mistaken verbal estimate for the private oral surgery - a 'few hundred pounds' changed to a printed quotation option of way over £2,000 fixed rate package!!! :tantrum2: :tantrum2: Immediately put myself back with NHS. So now we wait. The op would have been today......in fact, right this minute!

The worry lies not so much in the mouth, as in the frustration caused by hassles. :tantrum2:
vannin

Postby Rowan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:35 pm

It's hellish that to be healthy costs so much.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby vannin » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:01 pm

Jeez! Took my first Lisinopril last night and slept well.

This morning the sweat poured off me for two or three hours......and I was to sing at an 11 a.m. funeral. Fortunately it eased off in time, but now I know this is a side effect of the drug.

Aargh, it was much worse than the menopausal glowing!! :roll:
vannin

Postby dejavou » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:04 pm

Never mind Viv, you'll pee less :hide:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby vannin » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:43 pm

Au contraire Deja, peeing MORE! :oops: If I thought it would lead to some ounces of weight coming off................... :roll:
vannin

Postby DaisyB » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:17 pm

I'm prescribed Candesartan and Clopidogrel.
Candesartan is an angiotensin II antagonist and Clopidogrel, 'this belongs to the group of medicines known as antiplatelets' (blood thinner.
DaisyB

Postby vannin » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:07 pm

I love that word, Clopidogrel :oops:

An interesting sequel to my new complaint with the strong side effect from the drug - as described. I was only joking about the weight, but after the sweat pouring off me yesterday morning for two to three hours, and to a lesser extent today, plus more peeing, I have lost 6 pounds of excess bloaty blubber in two days!! :trink:
vannin

Postby dita » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:44 pm

Oh! Vannin, Hope you are oka, still doing to much peeing now a days? Our toilet is downstairs and quite a trek when you are desperate, I am always worrying about getting there on time, alway's do but........ Been doing a lot of thinking of late about how we can fit one upstairs.

Have bought myself one of those BP monitors, maybe I have already mentioned that, OH! I think I am losing it, never mind. :oops:
dita

Postby dejavou » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:51 pm

Dita ...... Mons recommends Tena Lady's :rolleye11:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby vannin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:51 pm

Dita, that has normalised now, also the heavy sweats, thank you. Getting used to the medication.

Having an eye test tomorrow because my eyes needed treatment at the same time as the hypertension. They just flared up bloodshot, but without the pain and stickiness of conjunctivitis. As there is a thing called Hypertensive Retinopathy and the optometrist always looks into everything like that, the correct eye treatment might follow.

The GP never considered it, or even used the opthalmascope, but prescribed anti-histamine drops. The eyes still look all wrong!
vannin

Postby dejavou » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:55 pm

You're having a bit of a time of it at the moment Viv, I hope things pick up for you soon
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby vannin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Thanks Dita. The good part is, neither the eyes nor the tongue ever hurt so far or even itch.
vannin

Postby dita » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:36 pm

You know I am sure all this medication issued by GP's is not considered on how the different chemicals react with each other, anti-histamine's are not recommended with some BP medications. I wish I had the know how and experience to find out all about these medications that are given to us. Trouble is I have'nt time, I am too busy taking them. :roll:
dita

PreviousNext

Return to Health and Well-being