An update on my son

Health issues

An update on my son

Postby DaisyB » Thu May 19, 2005 9:05 pm

Some of you know that I have been stressed out over the last fortnight regarding my eldest son Steve.

He tried to take his own life last July and after trying an assortment of prescribed drugs and counselling he volunteered to try ECT treatment as a last resort. Dave and I were devasted and scared for him. He was supposed to have had his first session on Monday, but the hospital hadn't completed all the correct paperwork so he had his first session today. (He will need 6-12 sessions)

He has asked us not to visit him at the psychiatric hospital as he says it's pretty grim, with all the yelling and screaming of the deeply disturbed and schizophrenics. Hopefully, he will be transfered to The Priory in Hove, where the surroundings are pleasanter and the food will be much better according to him. His first dinner was a soggy, yellow sausage roll and hash browns, very healthy I don't think.

Well he had his first ECT session this morning. I phoned him at lunchtime and he said he felt a little confused, very sore around the temples and complained that the muscle relaxants didn't work too well as he had bad cramps in his calves. His next session will be on Monday.

At last I am feeling more relaxed (maybe the St John's Wort helped, approved by my doctor), I was so scared for him and I have been, like most mums would, asking myself where I have gone wrong.

Last Friday I was crying all day, today I actually had a laugh at work. So hopefully things are looking up all round.

Thanks to all of you who have wished us well and given support. It can only get better now.

Thank you for taking the trouble to read this.

:)
DaisyB

Postby vannin » Thu May 19, 2005 9:16 pm

Praise the Lord, June. That is better news. Thinking of you.
vannin

Postby Shutterfrog » Thu May 19, 2005 9:18 pm

Good to hear a bit of sparkle from you DaisyB. Will be praying for your son and you.
Shutterfrog
Clicker B

Postby dejavou » Thu May 19, 2005 9:22 pm

Hopefully the treatment will work, and your son will be free of the black cloud he's lost in. Try to be positive about it and hopefully the time will pass quickly

xx Ann
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Maywalk » Thu May 19, 2005 9:25 pm

That is brilliant Daisy.

Its made my day.

Just got to have faith now and say a few prayers.

God Bless from Maisie.
Maywalk

Postby DaisyB » Thu May 19, 2005 9:30 pm

Thank you dear friends.
DaisyB

Postby admin » Thu May 19, 2005 10:07 pm

I'm glad to hear his treatment has started, DaisyB. I'm sure it will help.

The fact that he volunteered for it shows a lot of determination to improve- and that determination and the support of a loving family is what you have given him.

Nobody is to blame for chemical imbalances- all of us on anti-depressants know that.
admin
Busy Bee

Postby e » Thu May 19, 2005 10:16 pm

Well, it's a start DaisyB :) and I sincerely hope he goes from strength to strength until you have a fit and healthy son once more :)

Keep smiling, it will do him good too :!:

e

Postby Rowan » Thu May 19, 2005 10:31 pm

Daisy, this is a dreadful time for you and your family. Personally, I don't have much faith in ECT but I sincerely hope your son will be one of those that finds it helpful. i will be thinking of you over the coming weeks. Please keep us up to date on how he is getting on.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby DaisyB » Thu May 19, 2005 10:34 pm

I think the fact that he went into the treatment voluntarily will help. He really does want to recover.
Thanks for all your good wishes.
DaisyB

Postby Monsy » Thu May 19, 2005 10:36 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your son.

I hope he will make a full recovery.

Thinking of you...........
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Granny Eve » Thu May 19, 2005 11:57 pm

It was certainly no "trouble" to read that Daisy. Please do keep us up to date with both his progress and yours. It is good to hear you found yourself able to laugh today.
Granny Eve

Postby Pam » Fri May 20, 2005 5:43 am

I wish your son well and will be thinking about you and your family. Take care.
Pam

Postby mazzy » Fri May 20, 2005 7:40 am

What a bad time you must have been going through. I was so sad to read your posting. I know it is a natural response, but PLEASE don't wonder where you went wrong. It is an illness, not a reaction to something you said or did when he was small . What a lucky son to have good family to stand by him, and care so deeply.
It also sounds as if the hospital he is in is a good one......if it is noisy they are obviously not using the chemical cosh!!!
mazzy

Postby widget » Fri May 20, 2005 8:17 am

My thoughts are with you Daisy B, have trust and patience, and no way put any blame on yourself, you have now got to give him all the encouragement and support you can,
Good luck to you and may you find all the strength you need.
widget

Next

Return to Health and Well-being