An update on my son

Health issues

Postby Monsy » Mon May 23, 2005 11:17 am

How's your son doing now June?

Do you think the treatment has helped or is it too soon to tell?
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby DaisyB » Mon May 23, 2005 5:25 pm

He had his second ECT session this morning Monsy. I spoke to him at lunchtime and he was still feeling a bit confused. He has been suffering with neck and backache after the last session, he doesn't think the muscle relaxant worked properly. I think that made him more nervous about today, he said he kneed the anaesthetist in the back as he was trying stick the needle in him.
He was supposed to have dinner with us last night for a roast beef dinner, but chose to take a Pot Noodle back to the hospital where he seems to find sanctuary.
He wants to speak to his psychiastrist before his next session on Thursday but has been told that he is away all this week. So he might ask not to go ahead with Thursdays session.
At the moment he doesn't feel any benefit, but it is early days yet. All we can do is encourage him and support him.

Stress seems to have had a strange effect on me, I have 'found' my poetic streak. I wonder if it'll last.
Thank you for your concern, it's much appreciated.
DaisyB

Postby Maywalk » Mon May 23, 2005 6:11 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed plus a little prayer for him and you Daisy.

Yes stress can bring out a latent talent in folk and it would help you if you could put your own feelings in rhyme.

It helped me get all my agro out of my system.

God Bless from Maisie.
Maywalk

Postby Emm » Mon May 23, 2005 6:21 pm

I have only just seen this thread Daisy.
Sorry to be late coming in.

I knew a lady years ago, who had the electric shock treatment. She was a firm believer in it. She had to go back to the hospital periodically for treatment.
Emm

Postby Rowan » Mon May 23, 2005 6:44 pm

Will keep thinking of you and your son Daisy. Pity his therapist is not around this week, it sounds as if he really needs to talk to him.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dejavou » Mon May 23, 2005 6:55 pm

Maywalk .... I can't imagine you with "aggro"
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Maywalk » Mon May 23, 2005 7:18 pm

Oh Boy! Dejavou :shock: :shock: :shock:

You certainly dont know me very well. :D :D :D :D :D

I will have to tell you the story of taking the Police Force on. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And the one of the Gas Board. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whoooppppsss I left a G out of aggro. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Maywalk

Postby dejavou » Mon May 23, 2005 7:40 pm

Sounds like a new thread coming on then Maisie
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby DaisyB » Mon May 23, 2005 7:45 pm

Steve told Dave in a later phone call that he bit through his lip while convulsing during the treatment. I bet that's sore. I'd have thought they'd have put something in his mouth to prevent that sort of thing happening.
DaisyB

Postby dejavou » Mon May 23, 2005 7:50 pm

Hopefully the end will justify all the trauma & pain June
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Rowan » Mon May 23, 2005 8:09 pm

Daisy - when administering ECT they are meant to make sure that the patient cannot hurt themselves. He should have had something to prevent him biting his lip or tongue.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon May 23, 2005 10:56 pm

I always thought that as well, Rowan! :?

I suppose it's early days yet, DaisyB, but if they could sort out his muscle relaxant levels so he doesn't feel so sore afterwards, I'm sure it would make a difference to how he perceives the treatment.

I have to admit, if it was voluntary, and it was leaving me in pain, I'd be having second thoughts about it. regardless of whether it was too early to judge its efficacy.

He's got guts to have started it at all!

I only write poetry when I'm feeling miserable, rather than stressed- which is why I've never posted any of it! :oops:
admin
Busy Bee

Postby Orchidea » Thu May 26, 2005 9:38 pm

Aww Daisy, I have just seen this for the first time, and the best news going is that he is trying to help himself, is talking about it, and by all accounts is doing well.

You know yourself that you just have to be there for him every step of the way, but when HE needs you - and he will.

We are all here for you whenever you need to vent or cheer, it won't be easy, but it will be worthwhile in the end.
Orchidea

Postby DaisyB » Thu May 26, 2005 9:46 pm

He had his 3rd session today. Apparently each session is slightly longer than the one before. He says it is taking longer to get his memory back this time, so I guess that will get steadily worse each time.
He said that the first time he produced too much saliva whilst 'out' so they gave him a drug to dry him up a bit, which was fine last time. This time they must have given him a bit too much, 'cos he said that when he had a bread roll for lunch he just couldn't swallow it as his mouth was so dry, like chewing on cotton wool.
We took him for a beer this evening as he wanted to see us but after his beer he wanted to get back to his room where he feels safe.
He has made a couple of friends at the hospital now, which is encouraging. Thanks for your continued support.
DaisyB

Postby Rowan » Thu May 26, 2005 9:49 pm

We're all thinking about you both Daisy.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Health and Well-being