Has anyone had shingles?

Health issues

Has anyone had shingles?

Postby Emm » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:38 pm

I have got it on my head and face.
The doctor gave me a leaflet about it.
It says that I must not put soap, bubble bath etc on to the infected areas.

My problem is - what can I do about washing my hair? Also, as I must not rub same areas - how on earth do I dry my hair!!!!!
I cannot use a drier, as heat is bad for shingles.
:groaner:
Emm

Postby dita » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:58 pm

Hell! I sympathise, After my Mum died some years ago I got it in a similar place to you, it ran in a circle from the top of my eye lid top of my nose into my head, then up behind my ear onto my forehead and completed the circle at my eyelid again, it was very painful and damaged nerves to my eye. Did wear off in time but if I get stressed it prickles.
I remember washing part of my hair, also cutting it short, think it was a problem which just had to be endured. letting it dry naturally and only washing when desperate. Poor Emm :sorry: Maybe someone else has got a solution, there is medication if it is caught early, but I did not have it.
dita

Postby dejavou » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:03 pm

You have my sympathy too Emm, I had them many years ago, on the body though so it was easier to manage in the ablution department.

Bloody painful though :tantrum2:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Monsy » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:51 pm

What about using something very gentle, like Dove. Maybe the chemist can offer you something. You could just pat your hair dry..........
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby twinsmum » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:01 pm

Hello Emma Sorry about the shingles i i had it on my back,3years ago I couldn't wash my hair after surgery for skin cancer John found me some Batiste Dry shampoo it is very good I was impressed much improved on what we used on our daughter 30 years ago,but I would check with the chemist first just in case.
twinsmum

Postby Rowan » Mon May 01, 2006 2:21 am

Dry shampoo seems the best solution. I had shingles many years ago - they were all the way round my back (at bra level) to the front. Some eejit told me that if the blisters met, I would die!! Well, I didn't!! It was very painful though and I couldn't bear anything tight on so had to stop wearing a bra till it went away.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dita » Mon May 01, 2006 10:16 am

It is one of those things we do not talk about much but what a blessed painful complaint it is, alway's hits you when you are under stress and seems to last forever. My son just had it round his middle, but only mild. Think dry shampoo could be your answer but be careful. It just sits there waiting to pounce :tantrum2: :sad:
dita

Postby Emm » Mon May 01, 2006 6:05 pm

Now why didn't I think of dry shampoo!!!
I used it on a dog years ago.

Thanks folks.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I thought I had got another gum infection. So rang my dentist for a prescription. She told me to go and see her. She saw the red mark on my forehead, and said she thought I had shingles, and to get straight to my doctor.
Which I did. He gave me tablets - and they seem to be doing the trick.
The itching has subsided a lot today, and - touch wood - I have only had the odd stab of pain.

Dita - my doctor said that if my eye started watering, I had to go straight to the hospital.
It hasn't done that - but the lid and above, itch like crazy.

Isn't it maddening when you have an itch, and daren't scratch it.
:mrgreen:
Emm

Postby dita » Tue May 02, 2006 10:54 pm

Oh! Emm I do feel for you, hope you dont have an eye problem because it is horrible I thought I was going to lose my sight. It is weaker and does tire easily but fine really. Hope the itch stops soon it will be driving you to drink.??
dita

Postby Monsy » Wed May 03, 2006 10:02 am

Instead of scratching it Emm, and risk infecting your eye, keep a damp piece of cotton wool or cotton pad in the freezer. When you can't bear the itch any more apply it - instant relief!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Rowan » Wed May 03, 2006 7:18 pm

That's a brill idea Monsy!! :mrgreen:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dita » Wed May 03, 2006 9:04 pm

Clever lady that Monsy :roll:
dita

Postby dejavou » Wed May 03, 2006 9:07 pm

dita wrote:Clever lady that Monsy :roll:

Course she is ..... she'S NEON :banana: :roflmao:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Emm » Thu May 04, 2006 4:29 pm

She's not just a pretty face . . .

@Dita - so that's why my other half brought me a bottle of vodka the other night!!!!!
Emm

Postby dita » Sun May 07, 2006 11:36 am

Of course Emm, hope you took advantage of the gift too. Is it feeling any easier? I really do sympathise with you. :sad:
dita

Next

Return to Health and Well-being