Post by Scotslassie about Hip Replacement Operation

Health issues

Post by Scotslassie about Hip Replacement Operation

Postby Monsy » Wed May 10, 2006 1:24 pm

scotslassie said:
I had a total hip replacement some 4 months ago and am still experiencing pain when walking even a relatively short distance. Has anyone who as has had this same operation can tell me if they had the same problem

I'm sure you'll get a reply soon Scotslassie. I haven't had one, but I think the pain lingers for a while.

Rowan might move this to the health forum, so don't worry, your post will have been moved - not deleted!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Rowan » Wed May 10, 2006 6:21 pm

I think somebody had one last year but I can't for the life of me remember who. My memory is terrible but I think the name started with a "P" - maybe Pam or Penny?
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Emm » Wed May 10, 2006 6:24 pm

My sister in law - who is in her early 50's, had both done last year. She has had no problems at all - and is walking brilliantly.

I believe it does affect different people in different ways though.

I knew a lady and her husband in their late 70's. Both had the operation. He was fine, but it took her a long while to get better.
Emm

post subject

Postby Penny » Thu May 11, 2006 7:02 pm

Yes it was me. I did answer in the shout-box but if it got missed. I had my operation in December 04 and still having trouble. The operation performed was terrific but having been measured a little out of true I ended up with one leg 5/8" shorter and although I have had my heels adjusted the strain of being on crutches for six months meant that the muscles in my legs were virtually flat. I started swimming and am on the mend but still have troublesome back and knees due to walking badly I guess. However, as has been said, not everyone suffers after the op. The physio did say that it was a case of going in and hoping for the best. I guess it was a case of taking a chance with the op or not walking at all. cheers Penny. :oops:
Penny

Postby Rowan » Thu May 11, 2006 9:59 pm

That is quite a difference Penny and must make it difficult for you. The swimming will help though. Good luck to you. :mrgreen:
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby scotslassie » Sun May 14, 2006 12:51 am

Thanks for your comments folks. I am going to my osteopath once a week in the hope of "loosening" my back muscles which are very tight and probably causing the pain when I walk. Maybe I need to exercise a bit more patience!
scotslassie

Postby Oddquine » Sun May 14, 2006 5:14 am

I think there is always a tendency when there are problems with legs/feet to unconsciously walk in a way which minimises pressure on the affected limb. I know I had a long spell with infected burns to one foot,and found that, eventually, I was having , and still do, problems with my back and that hip.
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby dejavou » Sun May 14, 2006 9:22 am

I agree Oddie, since breaking my foor at the beginning of the year, I've had many aches & pains in the back & hips ... sometimes I'm walking about like I've a carrot stuck up me bum :sad:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Rowan » Sun May 14, 2006 9:51 am

The best exercise is in water - even if you can't swim just moving about in the water will strengthen weak muscles and allow free movement. :mrgreen:
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Monsy » Sun May 14, 2006 10:48 am

If I went in the water (carefully manoeuvring past all the floating jobbies) the tide would go out!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby dejavou » Sun May 14, 2006 1:40 pm

Monsy wrote:If I went in the water (carefully manoeuvring past all the floating jobbies) the tide would go out!
:roflmao: :roflmao:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Rowan » Sun May 14, 2006 6:51 pm

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby vannin » Sun May 14, 2006 7:22 pm

:roflmao: :roflmao: