Squashagramme...

Health issues

Postby Monika » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:30 pm

I'm one of those people who won't go, either.

I weighed up the pro's and cons, like never having been on 'the pill', not having any history of breast cancer in our family and also the chance that I could be one of those people who only get it because of having the mammogram in the first place.

My view is that if the odds are 1 in 12 people (as they say) then around 92 women are screened unneccesarily. Add to that the fact that I was once told (after ultrasonic tests) that I had fibroids, went into hospital for a D&C, to be told that I didn't have fibroids "just a small polyp which I have snipped out", only to be told later that I did have a fibroid as big as a four month pregnancy after all ... something which I still live with because it doesn't give me any problem and is probably shrinking nicely now that I'm past menopause.

I was also told that I had gallstones, again after ultrasonic testing, had to then go for a barium enema which discovered that I didn't, after all, have anything of the kind.

With a history of misdiagnoses, I'm reluctant to have a mammogram anyway due to the suspicion that they would say I had breast cancer, take my breast/s away only to discover that I hadn't when it was too late. :roll: :roll:

I seriously question routinely x-raying great numbers of people for anything they MIGHT have, ever since I sat down and thought about the fact that when I went to grammar school, I, and all the other children were bussed into Nottingham every six months for chest x-ays, and this went on for the whole five years attendance at a time when our little bodies were in the process of development. Also, there was a time when dentists x-rayed teeth regularly, a practice that they have since thought more about and do more to protect their dental nurses from too much exposure. So, I believe that my body has had more than its fair share of being irradiated without good reason.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Josieclick » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:20 pm

I respect your decision Monika,all about the choices we have.....I choose to grab all that is available now,not being a hypochondriac,just erring on the side of caution that's all :magnify:
Josieclick

Postby Monika » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:32 pm

The respect is mutual, Maureen.

I shall never forget being rushed into hospital and finding myself in a ward where you either had breast cancer or gall stones and seeing the wonderful spirit of young women undergoing chemotherapy.

I was flabberghasted to hear one woman tell another that she was going to have a mastectomy and the other woman remarking, "Oh, no .... not titty pie again." Then I realised that it was just their way of coping. How brave!
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Lacemaker » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:25 am

My sister lost a leg through bone cancer and had to have chemotherapy. She forced herself to go through at least 9 months of treatment until one day when she entered hospital for the next lot, she found she just couldn't face it and refused to have anymore.

She said at the time and on various other occasions that she would never put herself through that again no matter what !

She died two years ago from Multiple Sclerosis.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Rowan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:55 am

Oh Monika, I'm SO glad somebody thinks the same way I do!! :mrgreen:

Additionally, I feel I have quite enough illnesses and conditions without adding any more to them and I am of the mind that thinks if we look hard enough, we'll find what we are looking for. No more!! :thinking:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Josieclick » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:00 am

Lacemaker wrote:My sister lost a leg through bone cancer and had to have chemotherapy. She forced herself to go through at least 9 months of treatment until one day when she entered hospital for the next lot, she found she just couldn't face it and refused to have anymore.

She said at the time and on various other occasions that she would never put herself through that again no matter what !

She died two years ago from Multiple Sclerosis.

MS Hazel would be enough for anyone I would have thought....

My own Mum in 1946 was diagnosed with this lousy disease aged 33,she suffered for the next 23 years until she too died in a home for the elderly aged 56...treatment ?! there wasn't any of any consequence,so very often procedures do help,only as I reiterate in a nut shell there was none around at that time
Josieclick

Postby Lacemaker » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:18 pm

My sister had a lot of treatment - such as it is even now - but from diagnosis to her death was only 8 years.

When I heard that she was suffering from the disease I got in touch with the MS Society to find out more about it and to ask for information. I also asked them whether or not the chemotherapy could have triggered the condition. The lady I was speaking to went silent for a moment and then said that she didn't really know but that she didn't think so. I am not convinced because chemotherapy kills the good cells as well as the bad.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby twinsmum » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:40 am

:roll: I did move once my daughter who worked in the x-ray department as a radiographer was a little put out "I don't believe it only MY mother could move"
twinsmum

Postby widget » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:19 pm

GO GET YOUR MAMMIES GRAMMED

For years and years they told me,
Be careful of your breasts.
Don't ever squeeze or bruise them.
And give them monthly tests.

So I heeded all their warnings,
And protected them by law.
Guarded them very carefully,
And ! I always wore my bra.

After 30 years of astute care,
My gyno, Dr Pruitt,
Said I should get a Mammogram
"OK," I said, "let's do it."

"Stand up here real close" she said,
(She got my boob in line),
"And tell me when it hurts," she said,
"Ah yes! Right there, that's fine."

She stepped upon a pedal,
I could not believe my eyes!
A plastic plate came slamming down,
My hooter's in a vice!

My skin was stretched and mangled,
From underneath my chin.
My poor boob was being squashed,
To Swedish Pancake thin.

Excruciating pain I felt,
Within it's vicelike grip.
A prisoner in this vicious thing,
My poor defenseless tit!

"Take a deep breath" she said to me,
Who does she think she's kidding?!?
My chest is mashed in her machine,
And woozy I am getting.

"There, that's good," I heard her say,
(The room was slowly swaying.)
"Now, let'! s have a go at the other one."
Have mercy, I was praying.

It squeezed me from both up and down,
It squeezed me from both sides.
I'll bet SHE'S never had this done,
To HER tender little hide.

Next time that they make me do this,
I will request a blindfold.
I have no wish to see again,
My knockers getting steam rolled.

If I had no problem when I came in,
I surely have one now.
If there had been a cyst in there,
It would have gone "ker-pow!"

This machine was created by a man,
Of this, I have no doubt.
I'd like to stick his balls in there,
And, see how THEY come out!

Breast Cancer Awareness...
Go have those boobs checked out and stay healthy!
Pass the message on to
your mothers, sisters, daughters, aunts, cousins,
friends, --- and even your enemies.

Because the WORST enemy is Breast Cancer
widget

Postby Josieclick » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:03 pm

All so very true sadly,thanks widget for that sound advise!!
Josieclick

Previous

Return to Health and Well-being