kidney disease?

Health issues

Postby mazzy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:33 pm

danthoms - that is just what I wanted to hear - that it is moderate and can stay that way for ages. Not so pleased to hear about your heart attacks though!!!
Makes me feel like a fraud even mentioning my little problem :)
mazzy

Postby dabthoms » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:48 pm

If you don't know about something like that it can worry the dickens out of you. It did me all these years ago. I have regular blood samples (every six months) taken to check kidney function. Latest result today--just fine!
dabthoms

Postby twinsmum » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:39 pm

If my son-in-law had been tested every 6 months they would have found the problem earlier. His Doctor actually accused his of heavy drinking and he doesnt drink,he was discussing it with the pharmacist who told him it was the very strong pain relief he was taking that was damaging his kidneys
twinsmum

Postby dabthoms » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:51 pm

That's what messed up mine. The medication I was taking.
dabthoms

Postby vannin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:54 pm

Paracetamol attacks the kidneys if more than the prescribed/printed-on-packet dose is taken.
vannin

Postby dabthoms » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:10 pm

Well, I wasn't taking paracetamol. I'd spent two years or so in hospital in plaster from the armpits to my toes. That was in the "good old days" before the wealth of antibiotics became available. I'd been admitted to the hospital with osteomyelitis in my hip joint and while in there contracted tuberculosis in the same joint. So consequently today have no hip joint as such. It was fused onto top of the femur. No chance of having an artificial joint either. Taking daily medication while flat on your back for that length of time doesn't give the kidneys much opportunity to function normally, and they didn't. Took another eighteen months before I could walk again once I'd been permanently chopped out of the wretched stuff.
dabthoms

Postby vannin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:56 pm

Poor Dabthoms, you went through a dreadful time. It is good to hear your recent kidney blood test is OK.
vannin

Postby dabthoms » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:49 am

Good Lord, no, no, no! Never poor dabthoms. I have had a perfectly normal life. Done everything, more or less, I've ever wanted to do. Travelled to loads of countries and lived in some for a while as well. Will soon have been married for 50 years, got children, grandchildren and more friends than I can count. Got more blessings than I'm sure I deserve.
dabthoms

Postby vannin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:47 pm

Well, I meant it more in admiration for you always veering over on the side of blessings, rather than poor-ifying. Sorry, I didn't express very well, but looking back on my post, it reads less than polite and I apologise for that. I do love your chirpiness though, for someone whose 'being plastered' for ages meant literally a plaster from armpits to toes.

It must have seemed never-ending.
vannin

Postby mazzy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:31 pm

My sister had osteo-myelitis as a child. What a dreadful thing it was. You don't hear so much about it now, I guess the stronger anti biotics have helped.

Strange to hear what you are saying about paracetamol - I have a pain in my side, and also keep getting head aches. As I don't often use pain killers I phone dthe GP for advice - he recommended paracetamol....what's a girl to do? :thinking:
mazzy

Postby vannin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:45 pm

As long as you stay within the 8 tablets in 24 hours, Mazzy. June/Daisy has given a link on a thead in which Doatie asks about a drug containing Tramadol and Paracetamol. Searched it out, the full info is there:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100005067.html
vannin

Postby twinsmum » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:19 pm

John had osteo-myeltis when he was about 11 he spent a long time in hospital but is fine now we realise he was one of the lucky ones.
twinsmum

Postby dita » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:11 pm

Dabthoms All I can say I admire you for what you said, pity more of us do not count our blessings.
dita

Previous

Return to Health and Well-being