Root Canal

Health issues

Postby Monsy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:55 am

Just get it pulled next time Monika! I find the grinding and faffing around in my mouth intolerable. What a shame you had to endure it for nothing!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Clara » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:15 am

Sorry to hear your news Monika. :worryrose:
But I can only repeat, don't let this experience put you off getting treatment to save your teeth. Was the infected tooth one of your back ones? If so, not much harm done then. But whatever you do, don't think the same thing is going to happen every time. ;)
Clara

Postby dita » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:02 pm

Well! I have to go and have an examination on Tues, I know what the outcome is going to be. The removal of four front teeth because they are too loose. Monika you and me are in the same boat really, having agony at the dentist. So sorry you have had to go through all that for nothing. I am terrified but also fed up with not being able to chew food without worrying about my teeth falling out.
dita

Postby Monika » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:19 pm

I have been going to the dentists for 6 monthly check-ups ever since I can remember and, frankly, I sometimes wonder if they do more harm than good.

Thirty odd years ago when we moved house, I went to a different dentist who, every six months, used to drill all my fillings out and replace them with new ones. When he suggested that he take all my teeth out (at around 33 - 34 years old) I went back to my old dentist and thought it was well worth the long journey and inconvenience.

My brother, who developed a phobia of dentists at a very young age, didn't go to the dentists except when he really had to and when he died at 58 years he had nearly all his teeth, unlike me who has partial upper dentures and have had for many years now.

I'm sorry to hear about your loose teeth, dita. I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday. Hope you're wrong about losing them.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby dita » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:21 pm

A number of years ago there were quite a few dentists struck off because they were filling teeth that did not need filling. One I think came from Scarborough, but not sure about that, maybe someone else can verify.

Almost certain that my outcome will be extraction. OH! not the end of the world I have still the old bottom ones. Anyway, compared to some problems people have I am very lucky.

Yes! it is odd how often people who avoid the dentist and dont spend much time looking after their teeth sometimes have no problem at all, I was told too hard brushing can damage as much as eating sugary things, a friend of mines hubby wiggles away and pulls out his own teeth. Sod that.
dita

Postby Clara » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:55 pm

There is nothing that can be done about loose teeth. My husband has the same problem and its caused by loss of bone in the jaw. This is usually caused by gum disease like Gingivitis. My hubby is hanging on to his teeth for dear life, although he has a lot of difficulty chewing much now. He has been told over and over that he needs them pulled and dentures fitted, but he feels he doesn't want dentures yet, although he is almost 72! His teeth themselves are perfectly healthy, but due to the loss of bone, are mostly so loose, he can actually move them around! He goes to the dentist to have them scaled to keep down the plaque, which causes the disease and the loss of bone, every six months. :roll:
Clara

Postby dita » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:53 pm

Sounds about right Clara, Medication can be one of the problems too, and it can make the infection worse and makes teeth drop in the gum exposing the nerves. I too have a hard time chewing and worry about breaking them off. Think I am going to get a GRIP and have em! out. :tantrum2:
dita

Postby Clara » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:16 pm

I keep on at my hubby to do the same. Everything he eats now he says 'bends' his teeth! There are certain foods I can't cook any more because of it, and it's such a shame because some of them are his favourite foods. He can't have that lovely bread with the malted grains in it, I have to braise all meat long and slow so it's as tender as possible. Roast? Forget it! His teeth are really sensitive too. He says he can't eat fruit because the acid takes off the effects of his 'Sensitive' toothpaste, so all his fruit is the dried sort. There's no end to it. I don;t think it's worth all the hassle myself. :dunno:
Clara

Postby dita » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:52 pm

Know How he feels Clara, I am going to get rid of em! and enjoy my food again, I am so fed up of all the hassle too. Just hope I feel the same Tues and do not chicken out. :oops:
dita

Postby dejavou » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:58 pm

The only thing that bothers me about false gnashers, is having to take them out in the event of an operation, the face'd be all collapso mucho :thinking:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Rowan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:26 pm

Wear a face mask then Deja!! I had very bad teeth, caused by a lack of calcium and terror of the dentist. I suffered horribly as a teenager with abcesses etc. I ended up with one false tooth on a plate held on with wires - and that rotted my back teeth - I ended up with top dentures at the age of 20 and by 25, I had a full set. I am terribly sensitive about people knowing this so have always used poligrip to hold the buggers in and I always get cosmetic dentures which are more expensive but well worth the money. They don't look particularly false and I can eat anything I want. I had such terribly teeth that if I bit into anything hard, a piece would chip off - it was awful and so I am very glad I had them out.

PS - Deja when I have had operations, I insist on wearing a face mask until I am knocked out!!
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dita » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:30 pm

Rowan Can I Ask The Dentist about having the Cosmetic Dentures instead of NHS, or is it under Private and How much Do they cost because I have been wondering about it.? If you do not want to say, I understand, Or send me a PM or e/mail.
dita

Postby Rowan » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:21 pm

Dita, I recently (3 years ago) had to get a new dentist and when I went for my appointment I explained my wish to have cosmetic dentures and he was quite happy to give me the prices. It DOES cost - it's not cheap but you can also get several grades of NHS dentures, some of which are not as dear but are apparently really good and on a par with cosmetic dentures. Just ask the dentist to explain it all to you.

My dentist is really good and I go every year for an oral check up which costs me nothing.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dejavou » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:54 pm

Rowan wrote: Deja when I have had operations, I insist on wearing a face mask until I am knocked out!!

Can't wait to see what Steve has to say to that Rowan :roflmao:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby dita » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:24 pm

Thanks so much Rowan, had no idea about this. I knew there were places that made them private, they do not give treatment though. Will ask tomorrow. Because my husband is disabled and only works part time we get NHS Dentist free through our working tax credit, but I will gladly pay for good natural looking dentures, it will be worth it I have saved money through not smoking and it is time I got the benefit.
dita

PreviousNext

Return to Health and Well-being