Statins.

Health issues

Statins.

Postby Maywalk » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:28 pm

Nearly a fortnight ago I had to go for a BP test and as I was coming out the nurse told me I would have to go on tablets to bring my cholesterol down.
I was surprised at this but as I had an appointment the next day with the doctor I waited until I verified the tablets from her.
Since I have taken them the pains in my legs and the dreadful cramp I keep getting seemed more than usual. Apart from going dizzy at times while out walking and feeling absolutely shattered all the time.
I found the paper out that comes in the tablets and read the after effects of Simvastatin. I was getting at least four of the symptoms.
I have just phoned my doctor to tell her of the dreadful leg cramps and lethargy plus the dizzy spells that seems to have started since taking the darn things and I have to come off them right away and make another appointment to see my doctor.

I am not a happy bunny.
I think I will ask the doc if I can go on something herbal to help the cholesterol, providing it does not interfere with all the other medication I am taking.
Anyone know of something that would help so that I can tell her when I go?
Maywalk

Postby widget » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:09 pm

http://www.healthydirect.co.uk/default. ... e%5Ftest=1

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/

Here is a couple of sites to look at, I buy my pills from the top one.
widget

Postby Kevin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:41 pm

Maisie, thanks for that posting. I've been on simvastatin for a couple of years now and suffer terrible discomfort and pain in my legs, to the extent that I take pain killers to control the effects. I will now look carefully at this drug and see if I can get a different one. :thinking:
Kevin

Postby twinsmum » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:27 pm

Johns on satins and he has a lot of pain in his legs, he did stop taking them but the new young lady Doctor asked john to go back on them which he did, he has a diabetic clinic coming up I think he should mention the pains.
twinsmum

Postby Maywalk » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:38 pm

Thanks Ann.

I will sit and peruse them later tonight.
Maywalk

Postby Maywalk » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:52 pm

Kevin that is a long time to take a drug without querying the symptoms. :huffin:

Read this and tell your doctor that you are having muscle pains in the legs and you think it could be the Simvastatin. Also called Zocor http://www.druginfonet.com/pi_mfr/ppi/m ... ocor.htm#e
Maywalk

Postby Maywalk » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:56 pm

I think John should mention them again too Barbara to his doctor.
It could be doing more harm that good.

Tell him to read the website I have put up for Kevin.
Maywalk

Postby Rowan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:58 pm

I'm non Atoravastatin and lately I've been getting uncomfortable legs and not quite dizzy as such spells but kind of woozy moments.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Maywalk » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:37 pm

You should have slip of paper in your medication Rowan to read how to take it plus any side effects.
If you are getting any of the symptoms stated on it please go to your doctor to be checked out. Better to be safe than sorry.
Maywalk

Postby Rowan » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:18 pm

Will do Maisie.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dita » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 pm

I am not on Statins but quite a few friends are, they have all had pains in their legs. NOT fUNNY. :tantrum2:
dita

Postby Kevin » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:20 am

Thanks for the website link Maisie. Most of those side effects are things that I suffer from time to time, but there again, many of the other drugs that I am taking have similar side effects listed on their patient information sheets!

It is very difficult to tell, when you are on a multi-drug regime, exactly which tablets cause which side effects (if any). I often end up taking another type of pill just to deal with the side effects from an existing one! You could go round and round the roundabout forever!

I've mentioned this to my doctor loads of times and he is very sympathetic. Since my heart failure condition was caused through excess chloresterol though, I am a bit loathe to kick the statins into touch at this stage without further investigation.
Kevin

Postby Monsy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:53 am

My cholesterol is 3.2. I don't know why, because I am a fat bugger!

*looks in chip shop window*
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Rowan » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:27 pm

-Don't think its anything to do with fat or thin Monsy. I think its more to do with genetics.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Sass » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:03 am

Another belated post.

Several years ago I had an anaphalaxic reaction to a medication. It was without any doubt the most frightening experience of my life.

I invested in a medication manual. I put NOTHING down my throat now, without checking the manual for possible side effects.....

At last count my cholesterol was 8.3 !!
I was prescribed a medication Statin called Lipitor. I refused to take it.

It would be wrong of me to come on any forum and scare the pants off people because of my views on certain medications.

SO..; all I will say is that I will give Statins a wide birth; no matter what! Some American users of Statins have coined the phrase: "Statin Shuffle". For good reason!

I am looking at diet and exercise (ugh!) to solve my problem. I have no wish for the cure to be worse than the 'disease'.

Just exercise caution, that's all.
Sass

Next

Return to Health and Well-being