AMD and Cataracts

Health issues

AMD and Cataracts

Postby vannin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:32 am

I might have mentioned before, I was on frequent recall appointments for eye tests. Sometimes six-monthly and sometimes quarterly, it has been about 8 or 9 apptmts in three years.

They were monitoring my right eye for the start of Age-Related Macular Degenation (wet) because there has been a progressive pigmentation blob on the right retina.

Yesterday I had another eye test. My prescription was in no need of updating.

BUT the AMD is into the early stages, and so are Cataracts starting in both eyes, the right more than the left.

A bit of a double whammy, but as many of you already know, we can only sit and wait!!!
vannin

Postby mazzy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:41 pm

Isn't there treatment now for AMD...Lutein or something????? Best if used in early stages I think???

Found this on a web site - I think the treatment is quite new - too late for my friend who has it.

[ Can macular degeneration be treated?
If you have “wet” AMD affecting the middle of the macula, in some cases, photodynamic therapy (PDT) is possible. This treatment involves infusing a light sensitive drug through your blood stream similar to a fluorescein angiogram. This drug is able to identify the new blood vessels, growing in the wrong place behind the retina, that form with “wet” AMD. A “cold laser” is then shone into the eye which activates the drug stopping the new blood vessels from growing and helping to prevent them causing too much damage to the macular area. This treatment is available on the NHS and has been shown to be effective for many people with “wet” AMD. It can help stop the “wet” AMD progressing to its worst stages though sometimes more than one treatment may be needed
[/size]
mazzy

Postby vannin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:05 pm

Hi Mazzy, just answered you on the other place, many thanks for the help!
vannin

Postby dejavou » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:14 pm

Fingers crossed Vannin ..... and remember to kick off, if you get caught up in a post code lottery for getting the treatment :evil:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby vannin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:00 pm

My update on the eyes. I was mistaken in the first post when I said my Macular Degeneration was the wet kind - if it was, the onset would have been sudden - mine is the 'Dry' which comes on gradually over years and so far, has no cure or aid to improvement.

However, since I posted, big shock with my David. His left eye started with Wet Macular Degeneration around New Year. A good Optometrist rushed him for appointment at Stoke Mandeville Eye Dept, where he was put through the first therapy - almost exactly as described by Mazzy above. Except QUOTE "treatment involves infusing a light sensitive drug through your blood stream similar to a fluorescein angiogram". Maz, the actual Angiogram involves infusing DYE through the body's blood vessels which will show up the Macula vessels. (He has had angiograms before prior to each bypass op) Then the cold laser is applied.

He came home with a yellow face for the evening (as warned by Opthalmologist) It is the after effect of the yellow dye! There are two more therapy apts lined up. Meanwhile the block on Lucentis drug is being lifted so he has a 'chatting' appointment this Friday with a doctor to discuss what it may mean, if anything, for him.

Meanwhile my plain ornery Op'gist date at the General Hosp was still awaited and duly kept a fortnight ago. A three hour Outpatients sojourn in smelly Bay 2- you all know how they go - and then as wise as ever at the end of it. Just 'we'll send you a further appointment in a few months. There IS nothing TO say. Oh yes! the early signs of cataracts we both have too.

What with his left and my right, we have one good pair between us!
vannin

Postby dejavou » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:37 pm

How worrying though Viv, eyesightis such a precious thing :grouphug:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Return to Health and Well-being