A Bit Worried

Health issues

A Bit Worried

Postby Monika » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:18 am

My husband is 71, fit and quite healthy.

During the last few years he has, on occasion, had one of those things we called "senior moments" (well, don't we all).

However, last week after we had a severe night frost, I said to him that I thought we should be switching off the outside tap for winter now (there's a screw which you turn just under the sink stopcock) and he agreed.

He did no more than walk outside to the tap, switch it on and switch it off again.

I didn't say anything straightaway but, a little while later, I asked if he had done it and he said that he had.

Oh, I said, I haven't noticed you going under the sink and then he remarked, "Oh dear what was I thinking of?"

I find this a bit frightening and worrisome.

Am I right to worry, or not?
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Rowan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:21 am

I don't know but quite honestly I think its something we all worry about, either for ourselves and for those we care about. I find myself doing more and more daft things the older I get...absent minded, going to do something and forgetting what it was and having to go back through my steps.

Maybe its something you should keep an eye on but not too openly in case he wonders what is going on. He could have been just a bit distracted.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Maywalk » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:49 am

Oh Monika DONT worry too much about this.
We all do daft things as we get older.

In fact I did the b*****s when I was younger never mind now. :mrgreen:
Maywalk

Postby dita » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:42 pm

Agree with above, do not worry.
dita

Postby Monika » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:29 pm

Thanks - Rowan, Maisie and Dita.

I will try not to worry about isolated instances like this and hope that they never become more frequent,

Monika

Postby wend » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:11 pm

Just lately I've been wondering if anyone is worrying about me :huffin: because I'm worrying about myself.

Each morning as I lay in bed I have to go over the previous day's activities etc so I can work out what day it is. I doubt very much I could wake up and immediately know it's Tuesday/Wednesday or whatever.

Last night I found myself sitting on the sofa and for a few minutes my mind went completely blank and I couldn't remember anything of what I had done that day. It soon came back to me but I have to admit it was scary.
wend

Postby Monika » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:10 pm

Wend .......... I have to say that would worry me, but if it isn't happening all the time, then I think everything is normal and you are probably worrying unneccesarily.

The trouble is that we are all so aware of Alzheimers that we think the worst at the slightest thing. We alll know someone who has it and my Aunt, who is only 8 years older than I, has just been taken into permanent care with this problem and a nicer woman you could not have met.

I've decided to keep a note of the odd things which Brian does from time to time and if they become more frequent then I will have a word with our GP. I know that there are tablets which can dramatically halt the progress of it so it isn't as if nothing can be done for him should the worst happen.
Monika

Postby wend » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:05 pm

At least I can still remember that I can't remember!!!! Bliddy hell, it doesn't sound good does it? hahahahahahaha

I'm orff to Canada on my own on Saturday, :scare: if I'm never heard of again :dunno: send the search party in the direction of the Rocky Mountains, I could end up wandering around for years!

Back to your husband, I think keeping notes would be a good idea but I would be inclined to somehow write in a "code" so only you understand. It was be terrible for both of you if he found them.
wend

Postby Monika » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:29 pm

wend ........ hope you have a really lovely time on your travels.

Regarding Brian .... I'm fortunate in some respects as he has no interest whatsoever in computers and, initially, I used to try to persuade him to take an interest to no avail so I shall keep the 'diary' on here - no probs.
Monika

Postby dejavou » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:35 pm

Bliddy Hell Wend ..... on your own!! I'd have gladly come along as a companion :banana:

Back to topic, quite a lot of "memory lapses" are caused by tiredness or stress, so a simple help is to try to "chill" There are also supplements which can help, such as Co Q 10, but check out if they're ok to take if you're on other medication, but like most things, worrying only makes it seem worse :dunno:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby dita » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:53 pm

My friend who is now in a Nursing home with Dementia at 61yrs started her illness about 8yrs ago, this a couple of years after her husband died. First signs I noticed were stuttering over words, then she would start a word and you would have to finish the word off because she could not remember it after she had started saying it, this got worse as time went by. My Stepmother also lost her mind but in a different way, she would say potato instead of tomatoe,butter instead of bread etc:
dita

Postby Monika » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:28 pm

What a dreadful illness it is.

I love my husband more than anything; he's a lovely man and my best friend but I would far rather he died than be one of the living dead which, I believe, is much, much worse.
Monika

Postby Rowan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:39 pm

I know exactly what you mean Monika - that kind of living death I wouldn't wish on anyone. Personally I'm terrified of it.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dita » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:47 pm

I have learned that people with Dementia suffer more than normal with bladder infections, especially when on the medication for the illness, the antibiotics they use makes the illness worse, but only while it is in their system.
dita

Postby Vince » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:57 am

My goodness if your worried Monika, I should be petrified at the amount of times I've walked into my shed, kitchen, or garage and wonder what I went in there to do.

While my body finds all sorts of new little ways to keep me aware of ageing, I feel lucky to be in good health

Vince. :eck:
Vince

Next

Return to Health and Well-being