Here I am feeling battered and weak

Health issues

Here I am feeling battered and weak

Postby DaisyB » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:03 pm

Well, as some of you know, the hysterectomy went a bit pear shaped. I had a 'subtotal' hysterectomy as due to previous caesarians my cervix was adhered to my bladder and they couldn't risk trying to cut it free, or I may have had bladder problems for the rest of my life.

Whilst in recovery my blood pressure plummeted and they discovered that I'd had a massive internal bleed. They called the surgeon that operated but he had flown off on holiday!
They had to decide whether to take me back to theatre and open me up again or hope that the blood would be re-absorbed. They took the latter decision, took me to intensive care and transfused 4 units of blood.
I looked like a Christmas tree with all the cannulas and lines in, even a central line into my neck which was feeding me insulin, morphine and augmentin. (this made my younger son feel very faint)
After 36 hours my bed was needed due to an RTA in Brighton, so I was taken down to a sideroom on the main ward. The nurses, the doctor who took me over from the absent surgeon were all wonderful. I had to have chest Xrays, due to congestion on my chest/lungs and also a CT scan.
My op was on Thurs 24th Jan, I felt as I would have expected to on the Saturday and Sunday but Monday and Tuesday I seemed to be going rapidly downhill. The morphine was also making me hallucinate. I was later told that the doctor was very worried about me. On Wednesday I went to the loo and as I got up it was like something from Alien, blood just shot out like a lump of half set jelly onto the floor and the into the toilet pan. I managed to pull the alarm cord and the nurses came running. They got me into a wheel chair, back to bed and on oxygen and then tried to clean me up and see what was up. The doctor came running too.
She explained that although it must have terrified the life out of me, it was a good sign as it was all the blood I had lost and that was making me feel so ill. It had found a way out through a tiny hole in my already healing wound. She also told me that there was at least another 3 pints to come.

After a couple of days of leaking through huge pads applied to my wound, it was decided it would be a good idea to put a colostomy over the tiny hole to collect all the blood and muck. The first two leaked but they finally got one to stick fast. It wasn't nice but saved the poor nurses from constant bed making and following me to and from the loo with a bucket and mop.

By the Friday I at last started eating, the line came out of my neck and I started to come back to life. I was finally discharged on Tuesday late afternoon, after 13 days in hospital instead of 3 or 4. Whilst I was in the discharge lounge waiting for Dave to collect me, my surgeon phoned me to apologise for the 'horrendous' time I had had and that he wanted to see me in two weeks instead of four.

A district nurse was organised and she comes in daily, she removed the colostomy bag as I had stopped leaking and just puts a padded dressing on now.

I am obviously still feeling very tender and weak and my concentration levels are almost zero.

I had another scare last night as I managed to overdose on insulin. Someone had changed the insulin pen, same insulin but different pen, which doesn't return to zero after I inject the 10 unit dose. So I assumed it hadn't worked and re-injected again, and again and again, still thinking that the pen wasn't working. Well it was and my blood sugars fell rapidly, and I am terrified of having a hypo. So the emergency doctor just told me to keep feeding the insulin and to check my sugar levels every hour. So one hot cross bun, banana and a huge bowl of muesli later I felt quite sick and bloated. Dave checked my sugars up to 2am and it seemed to level out. I was so scared.

Dave went to the surgery this morning and my doctor has prescribed the pen I am used to, that goes back to zero after the injection.

I wouldn't wish what I went through on my worst enemy. Hopefully it's full steam ahead on the road to recovery now.
DaisyB

Postby Maywalk » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:18 pm

You certainly have been through the mill June but its great to know that you are gradually getting back to better health. I am glad that its all over for you.

DONT overdo things and I hope that by this time next week you will be feeling a lot better.
Maywalk

Postby Monika » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:21 pm

Oh my word, June ....................... it sounds a complete nightmare.

I pray that from now on it's going to be "every day in every way" and it's sounding very promising.

Take care of yourself, June; all my best wishes for a speedy recovery and an enjoyable rest of 2008.

:grouphug:
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby DaisyB » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:24 pm

Thanks Maisie and Monika. Dave is taking me out for a drive tomorrow for a change of scenery. I just hope we don't drive over too many pot holes. Ouch
DaisyB

Postby e » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:39 pm

[font=Comic Sans MS]
Come on Daisy .... tell the truth....... you just wanted extra days :please: because of the fantastically appetising hospital food ...... didn't you ?

:hide: :roflmao:

Seriously though, it's good to know you're on the mend after what sounds to have been a very frightening and difficult time.

:mrgreen: [/font]

e

Postby DaisyB » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:50 pm

Hehe, I was on water only for the first eight days E. Whilst the food was obviously nothing like home cooking, it wasn't totally unpalatable once I learned which meals to choose. The main problem is that they don't use any salt in the cooking and even a pinch would make the world of difference. It just doesn't taste the same added after. A dear little night nurse, Minnie, used to bring me the best toast and marmalade at 10.30/11pm each night once I started eating.
DaisyB

Postby Rowan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:00 am

What an absolutely terrifying time you've had June. Thank goodness it seems as if you're at last on the mend and that will be the gynae problems over for good. I've heard of problems with the bladder sticking to some other part causing problems before and they are serious so you've obviously had a tough time.

Horrendous about the insulin pen though - it seems a daft idea for it not to go back to zero after an injection - how else would you know it had worked? I'm glad you've got your old type pen back - you must have been really scared.

The taste of that first cuppa and toast and marmalade is like a cordon bleu meal!!

Welcome back. :grouphug:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby DaisyB » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:05 am

Thanks Rowan. There has now been mention of HRT as I had my tubes and ovaries removed too. But I understood that being diabetic, with high blood pressure and being overweight was a bad risk. Anyone know different?
DaisyB

Postby Lacemaker » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:39 am

Very glad to see you back here, June. I hope everything goes extra well from now on. :please:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:03 am

Well June you really have been through the mill. Here's hoping you have a speedy recovery now.
Victors Mate

Postby Rowan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:21 am

I've got HBP and am diabetic - but only type 2 so don't need insulin am not overweight and I have been on HRT for eight years now but I am coming off it gradually as my GP doesn't believe in just coming right off it. Everybody's different though - ask your GP what she/he thinks.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Anya » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:23 am

Oh, dear June !!! Must be easier ways to have a holiday and is that the latest fad diet? Eight days on water, no bread, no salt, no nothing? :sad: :sad:

I hope that your recovery will be swift and that you will be running around like a two-year old, very very soon.

All the best !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anya

Postby widget » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:56 am

What a terrible time you had, sounds like you were well looked after by the Nurse's,
you take it easy, which looks like you have to anyway, enjoy the rest, concentrate on recovering, and let Dave do all the worrying.

Wish you well.
widget

Postby dejavou » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:53 am

WOW Hun, what a time of it you've had, but it's over now thankfully and you'll soon be feeling on top of the world, just don't try to do too much too soon.

Just think of the positives, no more monthly problems and the new slim line you, not to mention the new clothes for the new figure :banana:

So plan ahead to give yourself something great to look forward to xx
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby vannin » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:44 am

June, what a lousy and frightening experience. I hope you will soon feel more human and free from pain. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Love
vannin

Next

Return to Health and Well-being