Dentist

Health issues

Dentist

Postby widget » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:34 am

I treat Dentist like shopping, only go when I want something, had to go last week as the side of a tooth came off, [happened before] last time she put a new bit over the filled tooth and off I went, this time she said it should really be capped, cost £198, :roflmao:
I said stick a bit on the side, that will do,

well, did you know that NHS dental charges now are in Banded groups, I am in band 2,
the Dentist talked me into going back for a 'small' filling, full inspection and clean-up, this with what she already did was £44.60.

just wondered what your thoughts were on NHS Dentist.
widget

Postby dejavou » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:12 am

Can't answer, as mine is private, couldn't get a NHS one!! in the last 12 months I think I've paid for a private yacht !!
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Rowan » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:47 am

Can't get an NHS dentist around here - I have one as I have had the same dentist for years but Davy is on a list - at the moment 13 months long to go on an NHS list. Was this what they intended when they started the NHS - I don't think so. We're back to the days when if you have no money - you don't get treated.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby vannin » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:49 am

I have been lucky enough, this year, to walk away from one NHS dentist, whose work and attitude have both deteriorated, and walk straight to a new NHS dentist across the High Street from him. The new dentist is a Greek girl, Anastasia, who I am delighted with.

I needed a crown before leaving the old one - who seems to dislike being in his profession - and when quoted £198 for NHS crown, I opted for a private one at £300. This was because the dental lab supplying crowns locally on NHS, has a bad reputation for shoddy work - I AM pleased with private crown. The NHS scale of charges for inspection and treatment are not popular with most patients and most dentists.

Last year and 2006, I paid the same amounts as you, Ann, and also paid a statutory £15.80 one day just for a three minute chat with the man. £5 a minute is not bad going for him! :tantrum2:
vannin

Postby vannin » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:54 am

Rowan wrote:Can't get an NHS dentist around here - I have one as I have had the same dentist for years but Davy is on a list - at the moment 13 months long to go on an NHS list. Was this what they intended when they started the NHS - I don't think so. We're back to the days when if you have no money - you don't get treated.

It is true, but not all doom and gloom, NHS-wise in Scotland! Your prescriptions are free and some vital drug treatments are available there but not here, as I understand it.
vannin

Postby widget » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:05 am

Blimey vannin, £300 for a tooth :tantrum2:
I thought last year when I had to pay £180 for 2 teeth on a plate, that was bad enough,

think it is the thought of paying for something you don't like, :rolleye11:
[going to the dentist]
widget

Postby vannin » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:27 am

My late son was manager of a dental lab, making crowns and dentures of top 'private' standard. So, for several years, I had free crowns and a denture, all made by him. At the present time, as I had to get a crown, I plumped for private in the knowledge they use superior materials and superior labour.......certainly in the local labs.
vannin

Return to Health and Well-being