Menopausal Symptoms

Health issues

Menopausal Symptoms

Postby Rowan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:44 am

Right ladfies - I am now at the end of my tether and am looking for some help - especially from you ladies who have come through the other end without going completely gaga!

I've been on HRT for about 7/8 years and had been (until I went into hospital) slowly coming off them. When I was in hospital, I forgot to take the pills in with me so actually came off them rather abruptly - I thought it was daft to start taking them again after a break of a week. WELL....since then I wake up three or four times during the night, absolutely soaking in perspiration - so bad that I have to stand at the back door, in a thin cotton goonie for ten or fifteen minutes till I cool down a bit. I've got the air conditioning unit on all night, I've got a wee hand fan and a can of cool water spray and I have got a chillow (cool pillow). I'm not getting enough sleep and what I am getting is not good quality sleep. I get horrific nightmares - last night the fridge freezer spoke to me (in a nightmare, I should add), last week I dreamt about being in prison - I kept saying I haven't done anything, I shouldn't be here!!!

It also happens during the day - couldn't count how many times. I keep a floor fan on all day and dress in the coolest of cottons.

Have any of you experienced this level of "flushings" - how did you cope and is there anything I can try to cut it down or even just get a good night's sleep?
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby mazzy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:38 pm

I had flushes, but never as bad as that - still getting them, but not bad enough to be a problem.

I only took HRT for about 6 months. I did try sage tea and that did seem to help.
Blach cahosh(?) didn't seem to do much good.

Most of my old lady friends say each hot flush is worth a guinea, but I really don't know what planet they are on :dunno:

Sounds to me as if you need some medical intervention here - a woman without sleep is a dangerous thing!!!
mazzy

Postby twinsmum » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:24 pm

Rowan, I had to come off very strong HRT after 8 years when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, the hot sweats did come back, but I was taking tamoxifen and that also makes you sweat, the longer you take it the worse it gets, I was once advised to take sage tables but they did not seem to make much difference, but then the hot flushes to me were man made, not natural.
http://www.healthandgoodness.com/acatal ... blets.html
I would have a word with your doctor, or go to a good herbalist and ask advice.
You are doing all I did to stay cool, I used to lie on the bed with just a nighty on, no covers at all.
twinsmum

Postby Rowan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:36 pm

Thanks - will try the tablets Barbara - have already tried black cohosh Mazzy but it didn't work for me either. Keep telling me your solutions ladies - its a desparate situation here. :dunno:

You know, rather than put radiators in houses they should just get hold of four or five menpoausal women and place them strategically throughout the house!! :rolleye11:
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Lacemaker » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:48 am

I can't help I am afraid, Rowan - I breezed through menopause with no symptoms whatsoever.

(I know - you hate me !) :hide:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Rowan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:59 am

:tantrum2: :choklit:
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dejavou » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:33 am

Rowan wrote:You know, rather than put radiators in houses they should just get hold of four or five menpoausal women and place them strategically throughout the house!! :rolleye11:

Just think of the elektrickery you'll save in winter hun :rolleye11:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Return to Health and Well-being