Statins and non statins!

Health issues

Statins and non statins!

Postby toolip2 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:26 pm

I came off off the statins I was prescribed as the side effects for me were intolerable. Doc said give it a rest and see how the cholesterol goes. That was a few weeks back and I will be having a lipids test end of October.

There are for and against with these statins and quite frankly I treat them with caution. The media especially the Daily Mail from time to time give reports on various drugs and I feel its wise for me to note the contents. Some experts say these reports cause scares. I am 65 and diabetic 2 on medication (no side effects)and have raised BP. and my BP pills played me up and after six months on Losartan gave them up as I was like a zombie and could not function daily and on the docs suggestion and he did offer me another tablet but understood when I said I decline for the time being.

I either read or heard that there is some thought that when one reaches a certain age is it really neccessary to keep taking the cholesterol pills and feeling so ill with the possible side effects? The big drug companies push the GP's with targets and set "numbers" for cholesterol and these numbers move up and down according to the companies dictates.

If one has certain conditions and need medications then it's wise to keep them going but just be wary and ask the GP advice and don't be fobbed off and put under pressure as I feel it's our bodies they experiment with. But a good balance is needed between heeding advice re medication and not taking it over the long-term.

Toolip2 :roll:
toolip2

Postby Rowan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:36 pm

I agree, my GP changed my statins from atorvastatin to simstatin and the side effects were horendous so I just stopped them. They haven't offered me anything else. The GPs have little control nowadays as they are not allowed to prescribe high cost medications and 9 out of 10 times, the cheaper ones have side effects.

Anyway I have never had high cholesterol - its always been around 4, I got them for the cardiovascular disease I have.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dejavou » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:12 pm

I don't know anybody who's taking statins that has a good word for them, that says it all for me :rolleye11:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby toolip2 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:43 pm

I think many folk are more wary now about he effects of some of these potent drugs, especially in the long-term. If only there was a drug that did not have such sometimes debilitating side effects short and long-term! :roll:

Even some doctors are becoming concerned about the statins. Yes, they do keep cholesterol down to a good "number" but at what cost to the individual's well-being? :huffin:
toolip2

Postby Penny » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:04 pm

Just read this and made me very nervous. Doc. said my cholesterol was 7 which is too high alng with high BP and gave me Pravastatin 10mg. I went yesterday and she said my BP was now fine but that she would increase the statin from 10 to 40 mg. I have to take one at night. So far the only thing I have noticed is that I dream a lot but am now wondering what side effects to expect with the new one. I decided to keep on the 10mg until Sunday night so that if I am ill with side effects I would be able to get in touch with the surgery on Monday. Any help would be appreciated. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Monika » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:07 pm

I'm sorry I can't help, Penny, but I have no experience of them at all. I can only say that I think you are doing the right thing in the circumstances.

I hope you manage to get this under control pretty quickly.
:grouphug:
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby vannin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:29 pm

Penny, the reported side effects mention joint pain mostly. But if you feel fine, best not go looking for symptoms. Good luck with the scrip!
vannin

Postby Penny » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks folks, decided to go ahead and hope for the best. cheers Penny :grouphug:
Penny

Return to Health and Well-being