Woman's problem

Health issues

Woman's problem

Postby mo » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:09 pm

I have had a prolapse womb for a long time, but recently it has got worse causing me to feel my bladder needs emptying all of the time.

I have read that one can have an operation for this, but I thought some sort of ring did the trick.
mo

Postby dejavou » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:35 pm

Can't help you with that Mo, sorry, maybe one of the other ladies can help :please:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Rowan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:05 pm

I've heard of this before Mo and I wish I could remember who it was but you would be best asking your GP, try and get a woman GP, they have some understanding of it!!
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Daff » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:45 pm

The treatment depends on severity of the condition Mo.
Most doctors will recommend loss of weight and exercise of the pelvic floor muscles as a first step. If that doesn't help and it gets worse or causes more symptoms then you could try vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. The doctor would need to insert it and change it every 6 months or more depending on the success of it.
If all this fails or the prolapse is severe then there are 2 operations, Suspension, this involves a synthetic mesh that holds the uterus in place. One end of the mesh is attached to the top of the vagina (the cervix) and the other to a bone in the spine. Once in place, the mesh supports the uterus.
Or a hysterectomy which I assume you know all about.

Long time since I worked in gynea but this doesn't seem to have changed
"In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
Albert Camus
Daff

Postby widget » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:37 am

I had a prolapse bladder 4 years ago, are you sure it is the womb? because it can be bladder womb or bowel,
I had the 'ring' for a year, and the nurse who did it said why don't I have the operation instead of this every 6 months for the rest of my life, so I decided to have it done,
in on monday, op on tuesday, home on friday, not to bad at all, have to be careful what I lifted,
and also be careful, as when they are 'in there' they like to do a hysterectomy, I did not want that and made it clear. I have not regretted having the op:
widget

Postby mo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:12 am

THank you all for your answers to my posting. Especially Daff and Widget which has helped me a lot.
You may be right Widget. It may not be the womb as the symptoms are similar to Dorrie ( twin sister who had a prolapse bladder and had an op, though she said it didn't do much good for her.
mo

Postby widget » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:33 am

I should ask for a referral to hospital to see a Gynaecologist, and then decide from there, different people have different repose to treatment, I can still 'feel' mine at times if I do any heavy lifting or carrying,

but it certainly made my life better and once you start having that 'ring' fitted every 6 months, its a blo**y nuisance.
widget

Postby Anya » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:36 am

If it is prolapsed womb, from what various women have said, all the various 'rings' and things rarely work. Hysterectomies are much safer and quicker these days and have the added benefit of protecting against ovarian cancer.

Someone in my family had problems for years and finally had a hysterectomy a few months ago. She is not quite forty and says that for the first time in a long time she feels well and energetic.
Anya

Postby mo » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:06 am

Thank you Anya for your posting.

I have an appointment with the doctor on New Years Eve. (of all times) so will find out a bit more then.
mo

Postby widget » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:32 am

Good luck at the docs, but make sure you need your womb removed,
doctors seem now-a-days to remove it for any old reason, as I said with my bladder repair they asked if I wanted it removed, [they must get money for old parts :roflmao: ]
widget

Postby Daff » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:07 pm

widget wrote:doctors seem now-a-days to remove it for any old reason,

The surgeons used to ask most women if they wanted it removed to save hassle later, a favourite saying by the gynae lot was "removing the cot and saving the play pen" :oops:
"In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
Albert Camus
Daff

Return to Health and Well-being