Waistline prob!

Health issues

Waistline prob!

Postby toolip2 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:19 pm

I weigh 11 and a half stone and am a bit overweight for my height and build. not drastically though, I am diabetic 2 on tablets and diet. Since Christmas 08 I have gained half a stone and my waist line is :roll: :huffin: :groaner: It measures 38 ins and its sposed to measure 33ins! I look six months pregant in the mirror! :groaner:

I have a good appetite and love my food and can't seem to control myself when it comes to pastry and naughties. OK before Xmas but not now. I need to lose the waistline and I walk but do not excercise enough. I do not belong to a gym as we can't afford this and as far as I know our local council do not have any Govt schemes for the over 60's to join a gym.

I am worried about having a heart attack or stroke. any ideas apart from cutting my throat to get my waistline back? :roll:
toolip2

Postby Rowan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:38 pm

No, but if you get any I'll be happy to try it with you!! A little over a year ago I was between 7.4 and 7.7 - a year later, many courses of steroids and less exercise I have put on almost two stone. I know that doesn't sound too bad, but I am only 4.11 and I look 8 months pregnant!! I haven't a thing to fit because my clothes were all size 8 and now for comfort I have to buy 12 and 14.

I am diabetic 2 as well only on diet so far but I honestly don't eat a lot - I also have gall stones so can't eat fatty stuff and I truly don't have a sweet tooth. So where the hair oil is all the weight coming from? Its a bliddy mystery and its making me so miserable on top of never feeling quite well.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dejavou » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:57 pm

I also have the same problem 4'11" like Eve, but now 10½ stone, so need to shed 2 stone :dunno: at this rate the only answer is amputation, rather than another knee replacement :rolleye11: The only consolation is, it costs the same to bury a fat 'un as a thin 'un :hide:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby toolip2 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:21 pm

Have you both ever tried Weightwatchers? I am tempted.

Well done, Eve for managing your diabetes with diet only. I tried for about a year but then I had to take tablets to keep my blood sugar level down. I know what you mean when you feel miserable as not feeling really well is :huffin:

I had to come of BP pills as the side effects were so awful even at the lowest dosage. My BP is average but raised. I take my chances without the pills. Same with cholesterol which is 6 at last count. But its my waistline that depresses me the most right now. :roll: :huffin: Sorry , i can't come up with some miracle for us three! :thinking:
toolip2

Postby dejavou » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:29 pm

I've not tried weightwatchers, but did try Slimming World some years ago ... and put weight on :dunno:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Rowan » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:14 pm

I am usually very good with diet and nutrition and I genuinely don't eat huge meals or go for sweet stuff and can't tolerate fatty things so I am limited. I do like chicken though. With me, I'm sure its not getting the same exercise as I was used to. I have always had small meals but often - now its even smaller meals and not as often because my stomach gets upset. Bliddy fed up with it!! I am back on the Actimel tomorrow in the hope that helps a bit.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Granny Eve » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:35 pm

I agree Rowan - I think it is the lack of exercise that makes it so hard to control our weight as we get older. Not just that we don't do as much of it but I know that even when I do exercise I do not use the energy that I used to when I was younger. We are just so much slower at everything that it follows that it does not take as many calories to keep us working even if we appear to be active all day.
Granny Eve

Postby Penny » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Try a gentle exercise, make sure you do it each morning before starting the day. I do what I call, my fivers, in the bathroom every day. Not too slim at my age but at least I do not put on weight and still touch my toes without effort. If you are interested, I will put them on here so that you can have a go. Like me, quite simple, but you just have to keep it up. cheers Penny.
Penny

Postby Rowan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:05 pm

Put them on Penny, if we can do some of them it will be a start.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Midnight Mover » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:23 pm

I've got the same problem waistline and excess weight but mine is from an underactive thyroid. Can I join in the exercise class :please: so long as they are easy as I can't bend without feeling dizzy and my legs aren't what they used to be! I think I am wearing out :dunno:
Midnight Mover

Postby Lacemaker » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:50 pm

I have weight problem, too. Until I went o the pill I could eat anything I liked and as much as I liked and still kept my weight at 7 stone 2 lbs. Then I went on the pill and my weight shot up until now it is 12 stone just like my mother only in her case it when she became pregnant ..... and my eldest daughter looks as though she is going the same way.

Mum had low blood pressure and mine is within the normal range, so here is another candidate for the excercise class !

:please:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Penny » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:43 pm

O.K. here goes.
Stand in front of a mirror feet about 12 - 15 apart.
Swing right arm backwards like a windmill 5 times.
Left arm backwards like a windmill 5 times.
Hands together in front, DO not move head, turning from waist left, then right, then left, and so on counting left and right as 1. until you have a total of 5.
Stretch arms out in front,hands together , palms outwards. Count 5
Stretch arms behind back, hands together, count 5.
Arms stretched up above, hands together palms outward. count 5
relax. count 5
Bend over and try to touch floor ( DO NOT STRAIN)
Stand up,take a deep breath and count 5. Relax.

That is it. Let me know how you get on. Each day you should be able to reach a little closer to the floor. cheers Penny.
Penny

Postby Lacemaker » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:06 am

I've printed those out and taped it up in the bathroom, Penny. Thank you. :magnify:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Rowan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:23 pm

I've done that too - here's hoping
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Penny » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:42 pm

So pleased, make an effort every day because it doesn't take more than five minutes. Even if you miss one morning, do it sometime later in the day - before a meal. cheers Penny.
Penny

Next

Return to Health and Well-being