Arachnoiditis

Health issues

Arachnoiditis

Postby dita » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:06 pm

No it has nothing to do with Spiders :groaner:

Has anyone got knowledge on this condition
dita

Postby dejavou » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Can't help I'm afraid hun, I just know a lot of the symptoms are similar to Fibromyalgia, like all the problems linked to the nervous system it's very difficult to pin down, I know there are some theories that these diseases are linked to pollution which is everywhere these days
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Maywalk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Taken from my medical book Dita.

Description........a form of meningitis involving the middle of the three membranes that surround and support the spinal cord. The nerves leaving the brain or spinal cord may become compressed and their function affected.

Cause............Infection, inflammation or scarring of the arachnoid membrane. May be a rare complication of spinal surgery, injection of drugs into the spine ore a myelogram (X-ray of the spinal cord after injection of dye).

Symptoms.................Severe pain in nerves affected by the inflammation,usually affecting both sides of the body. Sometimes there is a paralysis of muscles supplied by these nerves.

Investigations ...............Reflexes involving affected nerves are absent.

Treatment......................Delicate surgery may be attempted to release trapped nerves. Various medications used to reduce nerve inflammation and pain.

Prognosis..............Treatment often unsatisfactory and symptoms persdist long term.

I have to point out here that this medical journal was printed in 2000 so there could be better medication now. I hope this has helped.
Maywalk

Postby Rowan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:24 pm

I'd never heard of it - sounds bliddy awful
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dita » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:23 pm

Thanks Maisie & everyone. I have just had this condition brought to light by a man whose wife has it and cause was Epidural injection some years ago. My son has had so many scans and tests with symptons of MS, and associating symptoms, he is having a struggle with toilet function, pain in all his joints, numbness, etc; but no verification of a diagnosis.
My son has had viral meningitis, 2 lumbar punctures, 1of which was faulty and so had to be re-done. These a few years ago, has had various symptoms ever since.
I do think he may have this condition and if so it could be the reason he is not getting any answers.
dita

Postby Monika » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:25 pm

I had never heard of it, dita, so I Googled it and found loads of stuff about it.

It sounds awful and I wish you success with getting it sorted.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby dejavou » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:30 pm

It certainly sounds like it Dita, I hope the medics get to the bottom of it soon :please:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby dita » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:28 am

Thanks for your comments, My son has always played lots of sport, football etc; he did the Great North Run 3 years ago despite being a chronic asthmatic and thyroid problems, tried to keep himself fit even though the Meningitis weakened him for a while. The last 18 months has been a nightmare trying to get a diagnosis, through both N H S and Bupa, had very little time off work because he just wants to get on with life and feels he would feel worse at home. Luckily they are understanding where he works and he has a free hand to take it easy when not so well. Anyway I will keep you posted,
dita

Postby Lacemaker » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:05 pm

I've never heard of it either. I hope there is something they can do for it now, Dita.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby dita » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:26 pm

At the moment he is having treatment privately through BUPA, some expert in the field is doing some kind of massage aimed at the nerves in his joints etc and is giving relief to his symptons, however no diagnosis has been given. He is accepting that he could have the condition, and if he has it must be managed as there is no cure. This is also helping because the symptons he has are exact to the illness, he feels easier in his mind that it is coming together now.
dita

Postby dejavou » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:02 pm

Sometimes it's easier once you KNOW what the problem is .... I wish him well Dita
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Rowan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:05 pm

It does help to know - it makes it easier to manage if nothing else.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dita » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:17 am

I think that is exactly how he feels, he looks less tense and is more optimistic about his life, and that is important for his mental well being.
Thank you for your support on this matter :grouphug:
dita

Return to Health and Well-being