Breathing Problems

Health issues

Breathing Problems

Postby Monika » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:59 pm

I recently went to my GP about problems I'm having with breathing.

She sent me to have a chest x-ray and also an ECG and Spirometry.

I have now had the results and the chest x-ray shows my lungs to be clear and I have now been diagnosed with Asthma as the Spirometry showed poor lung function. So, next Tuesday I have an appointment to see a nurse at the practice who will be advising me on different nebulisers.

Does anyone else have to use one of these? Also, do you find they make a difference (it is very unpleasant when you feel so short of breath) but, I'm so glad I gave up smoking when I did (10 years ago) as I dread to think what a bad way I would be in if I hadn't!

Any advice would be appreciated.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Rowan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:02 pm

You would be as bad as me Monika!! I use Spiriva, Ventolin and Seretide inhalers and salbutamol and saline nebules for my nebuliser. They all work very well, except when I get an infection then I am laid extremely low and can barely walk anbd it takes weeks of steroids and antibiotics before I am back to (what for me is) normal! My lungs are reasonably clear although damaged.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Monika » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanks for your information, Rowan.

It's really awful when you can't get your breath and I know that this year you've had a number of infections which have laid you low. I guess that is going to be one of my worries in the future, too.

When I see the nurse, next Tuesday, I'm going to find out as much as I can about the best ways to cope. I've been putting off seeing the GP about my problem for many months now as my brother died from lung cancer when he was 58 and it all started on a Greek holiday when he became breathless walking - so - I think deep down I was worrying about that.

From that point of view, I suppose I'm lucky to have this problem rather than that one.
Monika

Postby Monika » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:16 pm

I've now seen the nurse and she has given me two inhalers, Ventolin and Serevent, to be used in conjunction daily - so - I hope this makes for some improvement.

I was taken aback when I found that my lung capacity is only 59%, no wonder I've been so out of puff!

She also gave me a booklet on COPD which has a page of exercises teaching how to breathe properly - so - I'm going to master those and hope to see some improvement. I know I've already done the damage but, at least, that will help to stop it getting any worse.
Monika

Return to Health and Well-being