Prostate Cancer & Saw Palmetto

Health issues

Prostate Cancer & Saw Palmetto

Postby DaisyB » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:21 am

I suggested my husband had a PSA test this time last year (prevention being better than cure). He finally saw our doctor and had the relevant blood test and examination. His prostate was slightly enlarged and the blood test came back reading 4.7.
He was referred to the hospital, where he had a needle biopsy. He was recalled for another biopsy a few weeks later. All this had been stretched out over six months, so you can imagine how stressed Dave felt. We kept telling him that if anything nasty had been found they'd have had him in fast.
Anyway, 3 months ago he was called to see the consultant, who told him that they'd found a small 'insignificant' cancer but they would not interfere yet, just monitor him. They will see him every 12 weeks and have blood tests at those times. Another biopsy in 18 months if things don't develop too fast.
I had read that Saw Palmetto was good for the prostate, so Dave started taking it. He had his first 12 week check last week and his PSA result was 2.4, which is fantastic.
He did ask the consultant whether she'd advise the use of Saw Palmetto, and she said that whilst the properties of it were unproven, she has heard that some people do benefit from taking it.
DaisyB

Postby Corrie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:10 pm

My husband began taking them 2 years ago. Good news for you, very pleased!
Corrie

Postby Victors Mate » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Fingers crossed for Dave, June. Sounds as if it was caught very early which is all to the good.
Victors Mate

Postby dejavou » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:47 pm

Great news June, just tell him 'keep taking the tablets' :banana:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Maywalk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:59 pm

SO glad you finally got through to him June and let us hope that it will be good news the next time he goes.
Has he calmed down now that he knows he is going to be kept under surveillance?
Maywalk

Postby Rowan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm a firm believer if something works, don't ask why, just keep on taking it. Hope it continues to work well for him.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby DaisyB » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:39 am

My sentiments too Eve.
I know they say homoeopathy doesn't work, can't work, but someone should have told that to our arthritic dog when she was on Rhus Tox.
DaisyB

Return to Health and Well-being