Old Stuff!

Photography

Old Stuff!

Postby ciderman_nz » Sun May 29, 2011 8:53 am

Because it's a bit quiet at the moment I thought I'd post a few old pics from the Settlers Museum where I work part time.
The Hawkes Bay Rough Riders were volunteers sent to the Boer War in Sth Africa. They were supplied with a rifle and a uniform but they had to supply their own horses (two) and saddles, bridles etc. They established something of a reputation as mounted riflemen but many did not return.

The regulations regarding female teachers were quite severe:

One of the early industries of Hawkes Bay was timber and forestry which was a dangerous occupation:

Women playing football! Whatever next!
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby dejavou » Sun May 29, 2011 9:07 am

Love the teachers one ...... Shame some of the teachers today aren't more regulated and dedicated (it must have gone downhill when men entered the profession :roll:)
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Maywalk » Sun May 29, 2011 9:32 am

Very interesting Michael.
I too loved the teachers one. I am surprised that it didn't say that they had to report to the guvner if they needed to go to the loo. ???????? :mrgreen:

Seriously though they must have been SO resentful but dare not say anything in case they were booted out.
I can only say that its a good job that I wasn't among them because there would have been a sodding revolution. :lol:
Maywalk

Postby ciderman_nz » Sun May 29, 2011 9:56 am

Still, at least they had the vote ! :mrgreen:
Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Maywalk » Sun May 29, 2011 10:28 am

It doesn't sound as though it did them much good though Michael IF they had that many rules laid down. :huffin:
Maywalk

Return to Photography