Just been looking ..............

Photography

Just been looking ..............

Postby Maywalk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:32 pm

through my old photos on my computer ready to clear some out and found this that was bought for me some years ago. There were only five made in this colour lettering so I felt honoured to have received one as a gift.
Its never been used because I have never used a thimble in my life but its to commemorate the Loughborough Carillon and all those who fought in the wars.

I cant remember whether I have put the website of the bells on here before but if you go here you can play the Carillon bells. Look under Carillon Info and click on play the bells, BUT for Gawds sake DONT have your speakers on TOO high or else you will wake them in the nearest cemetary.
http://www.loughboroughcarillon.com/vir ... the-bells/
Maywalk

Postby Corrie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:13 pm

They are lovely Maisie, and very special, I clicked on the website too!
Corrie

Postby Maywalk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:28 pm

Its only one thimble Corrie but showing the back and the front of it.

I hope you DID NOT play the bells at this time of night. :mrgreen:
Try them in the morning with the volume on your speakers turned up.

I did not realise that I had left my speakers on earlier and I clicked on one of the bells and hubby was sitting next to me writing an e-mail to my son on his own computer. He nearly had a fit as the bell tolled and jumped out of the chair.
Quickest bloody move he had made all day. :roflmao:
Maywalk

Postby Corrie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:09 pm

Poor hubby ! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Corrie

Postby Lacemaker » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:38 pm

I have collection of thimbles that started by default. My daughters and a number of my friends have given me thimbles over the years since one of my favourite forms of lace is needlelace and, believe me, working needlelace means a thimble is a necessity if you don't want to have a permanent hole in your finger tip ! I have just on a 100 of them now including a silver child's thimble with the nursery rhyme 'Hey Diddle" illustrate on the side of it and another silver and steel Dorcas thimble made by Charles Horner around 1900.

That is a lovely thimble of yours, Maisie.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Maywalk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:35 am

Hi Hazel.
Yes I remember some time ago you mentioning that you collected thimbles, that is one reason why I put this on here. I think its nice to have a collecting hobby of some description because it gives one a focal point if you go out browsing the shops or the local market.
I collect wooden animals from around the world. When folks have gone for holidays they have brought me one back from various countries. Such as the Kiwi from NZ the Kangaroo from Oz the Bear from Russia and so forth.
I found this one in an antique shop nearly 50 years ago. I fell in love with him and had to have him. Not pretty but I still love him and I have NEVER polished him. I just wipe him over with the damp window leather.

Maywalk

Return to Photography