Flanders in the Autumn

Photography

Flanders in the Autumn

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:55 pm

I promised to put up some photos of our recent visit to Ieper. I didn't take very many but these are probably the nicest / most interesting (please yawn quietly at the back!).

One of the 'essential' experiences of a trip to Ieper is the nightly playing of the Last Post at the Menin Gate by a volunteer team of current and retired firemen, in memory of those who fell in the Great War. This has taken place every night at 8pm since 1927 except during WW2. This is followed by a minute's silence and, sometimes, the laying of wreaths then the Reveille. I've been there many times and it still sends a tingle down my spine. I've never photographed the ceremony in the dark before and I didn't have a tripod so they're not great pictures but could have been much worse. Here are the crowds assembling under the gate shortly before 8pm:

The buglers walk out ready to play:

Here they are, a couple of nights later, playing the Last Post:

Belgian soldiers about to lay a wreath:

This lovely building, set in parkland, is the 1917 Memorial Museum at Passendale:

The museum overlooks a lake and, even in late November, there was still plenty of autumn colour to be seen:
Andere Richtingen

Re: Flanders in the Autumn

Postby dita » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:25 pm

Such awesome photos Andere thank you so much. My son who was a Medic in the British Army visited the area several times during his 23yrs. He will be over at the weekend for a short time and I shall show him these.
dita

Postby Penny » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:36 pm

Simply wonderful. I think the Museum one is gorgeous and next the lake. Clever you. Cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Vince » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Some awesome photos thank you
Vince

Return to Photography