Switzerland

Photography

Switzerland

Postby Andere Richtingen » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:35 pm

I promised to post some pictures of Alps and trains and things and, at last, here they are!
The first day of our Swiss holiday, we went on a scenic rail excursion halfway across the country - well, it seemed like that at the time - into the Bernese Oberland. When the clouds lifted, the scenery was superb. This is Lake Geneva, taken while the train was just leaving Montreux, shortly before 8am:

The station name-boards at Saanen made us smile. The area is famous for the breeding and sale of Saanen goats, the principal local industry, so the creatures are celebrated on the station!

The clouds did eventually begin to lift:

This is Grindelwald, a pretty little town and major rail junction.

I love the way so many of the houses we passed looked exactly like the little model Swiss chalet I had as a child!

The view across Lake Geneva on a misty morning from the Montreux ferry pontoon.

The former paddle-steamer, 'Vevey' approaching Le Bouveret. Built in (I think) 1912, Vevey was converted to diesel-electric power in 1955. She was thoroughly restored and overhauled iin the 1990s and much of the original appearance has been retained.

A vintage steam train from the Blonay-Chamby Heritage Railway about to depart from Blonay station:

The view towards Vevey from the very top of the preserved railway line at Choulin - shame about the haze!

On our last day, we took a slightly scary and near-vertical train ride to the summit of Rochers-de-Naye, over 2000m above sea-level. The views were superb until the clouds once again engulfed us!

Andere Richtingen

Re: Switzerland

Postby dita » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:31 pm

Beautiful photos Andere, thanks so much the scenery is magical. I am particularly interested seeing the model of the goat from Saanen, we used to own a couple of them years ago, they produce excellent milk.
dita

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:10 pm

Oh, I'm glad that struck a chord with somebody. I have to admit,being a total ignoramus about goats, that I'd never heard of them!
Andere Richtingen

Postby vannin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:30 pm

Gorgeous photos Andere. Such a majestic backdrop. Reminds me of being in Austria six years ago.

Viv
vannin

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Austria's on my list of Places to Go, Some Day. I've always fancied visiting Vienna, but that may just be the thought of all those lovely tortes - yum.
Andere Richtingen

Postby caroljoyce » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:24 am

Great pictures - The next to the last one fascinates me. It was taken from such a hight!
caroljoyce

Postby Monika » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:40 pm

I've just been going through all your lovely photos on the last four threads here, Andere. There are some excellent ones; thanks for posting.

If I ever see one that draws me to painting it, would you give me permission, please?
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Lacemaker » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:53 pm

Beautiful photos, Andere. Well up to your usual standard.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Andere Richtingen » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:39 pm

Monika wrote:I've just been going through all your lovely photos on the last four threads here, Andere. There are some excellent ones; thanks for posting.

If I ever see one that draws me to painting it, would you give me permission, please?

Of course I will! I'd be extremely flattered if you did.

Lacemaker wrote:Beautiful photos, Andere. Well up to your usual standard.

Many thanks for all your kind comments. :ithanku:
Andere Richtingen

Postby Fozzy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:28 am

Fabulous, Andere. We went to Switzerland on a day trip whilst in Italy. We traveled through the Alps to Saint Moritz. The scenery was fantastic.
Fozzy

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:48 pm

The scenery is awesome, isn't it ? I just wish so much of it hadn't been swathed in mist! I hadn't expected that in mid June and can only hope to return some time when the mists are absent.
Andere Richtingen

Postby Fozzy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:31 pm

We went in early October and there was no mist at all. Don't know if that had to do with the time of year or if we were just lucky.
Fozzy

Return to Photography